Pitt Meadows Day impresses again
Blue skies and sunshine greeted thousands as they watched the longest parade in the history of Pitt Meadows Day on Saturday.
Ninety six entries made their way through the downtown core to the delight of spectators, who lined both Hammond and Harris roads.
Many of them were holding water guns and bags full of water-filled balloons in anticipation of the annual water fight with members of the Pitt Meadows Fire Department and RCMP.
“Water fights along the parade route have been a regular item,” said Rick Higgs, president of the Pitt Meadows Day Society.
But this year the RCMP brought an Armoured Personnel Carrier that has porthole windows on both sides.
“Well, apparently when they opened those up and had water pistols and things to squirt at kids, it just broke up the audience. The audience just thought that was hilarious,” said Higgs.
He was most impressed with the variety of entries in the parade across all the categories.
The Lions Club had a record turnout for its pancake breakfast and mallets were being swung all day at the three high strike units, new to the fair this year.
Higgs also noted the great work the volunteers did over the weekend, especially with clean up.
“When we were done at the Harris Road Park field, stacking everything up and going around and picking up litter, you wouldn’t have known there had been a festival there that day.”
Pitt Meadows Day parade winners:
• best overall entry – Centre Stage Dance;
• best community spirit: DaniElle;
• marching bands – Air Cadets (first place), Vancouver Fire and Rescue (second), Shriners Drum and Bugle Corp. (third);
• schools – Centre Stage Dance, Discovery Playhouse, Fabulous Feet;
• antiques – Golden Ears Antique Card Club, Shriners Mini Corp., Pitt Meadows Fire Dept.;
• community – DaniElle, Girl Guides, Church on the Rock (tied with) Emerald Pig theatrical;
• animal – RCMP horse and hound, Ola Puppy Dog Grooming, Leash Saving Lives;
• commercial – Roosters cabaret, Pitt Meadows airport, Meadows Maze;
• mascot – Cooperators, Bricks4Kids.