- BC Games
Celebrate Arts and Culture Week in Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows
Artists and artisans in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows will open their studios to visitors this weekend.
The 13th annual arts studio tour will feature 32 artists in 23 locations and feature paintings in all media, pottery, sculpture, ceramics, ceramic sculptures, jewellery, paper arts, functional art, assemblage art, and more.
You can drop by the studios on Saturday and Sunday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Studios will feature artists at work, demonstrations and door prizes.
“Don’t miss this chance to meet the artists, watch them at work and have them explain their methods and what inspires them,” said tour organizer Suzette Fram.
The studio tour is part of B.C.’s Arts and Culture Week, a seven-day-long celebration that turns the spotlight on the vital contribution that arts and culture make in learning and in life.
The ACT marks the week with a “Celebration of the Arts.”
This year’s event primarily focuses on the visual arts and finishes with a very special fundraising event, Heart Beats Around the World, in support of both the Ridge Meadows Hospital Foundation and the MR-PM Arts Council.
This special showcase of dance and beats from around the world has been programmed by classical Indian dancer Rupa Gopinath, and features Korean, Spanish, Scottish, Métis, Brazilian/Cuban, classical as well as Bollywood dance and music – including celebrated percussionist Pepe Danza.
Visual Arts Exhibits
April 1 - 29
• “Gone Hooking” rug display - Pitt Meadows City Hall
• “The Kimono Series” by artist Kristin Krimmel - Maple Ridge City Hall
April 9 - May 7
• “CLAY 2011” - Fraser Valley Potters Guild - Maple Ridge Art Gallery
• Attend the Creative Community Brainstorming. Arts Council members and the public are invited to discuss new event ideas in the ACT’s Studio Theatre, including how to celebrate Maple Ridge Pitt Meadows Arts Council’s 40th Anniversary on Wednesday, April 13 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
• SFU’s Philosopher’s Café in the ACT lobby on Thursday, April 14 at 7 p.m.
• 13th Annual Art Studio Tour on Saturday, April 16 and Sunday, April 17 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For a map, visit www.artstudiotour.ca
• Heart Beats around the World plays Sunday, April 17 at 7:30 p.m.