- BC Games
Art in the Swamp this weekend
The tail-end of summer means it's time for Art in the Swamp.
The annual free event is held at Claire Louise Stephen and Rik Watson's "chicken farm" property in east Maple Ridge, which was originally settled by Finnish pioneers.
This year's line-up of artists proves to be an interesting blend.
• Jennie Christensen is a young, up-and-coming multi-faceted artist. Besides painting, she also creates unique cards and is a virtuoso in fashion.
• Stiff Gritty is an aspiring photographer who photographs landscapes and nudes.
• Kara Grotek loves the physicality of art and many of her projects are "hands-on". She is heavily influence by the natural world, many of her pieces combine elements of human anatomy and nature and include organic material such as animal bones or dried flowers.
• Photographing Adrenaline is Cindy Hoflin's new body of work which features scenes from concerts to riots.
• Sandy Moulton graduated from the University of the Fraser Valley with a degree in fine arts. She is always interested in the dark side of things and the psychology of human behaviour. These pieces reflect her studies of the effects of mental trauma and suffering on the human heart. Moulton will display "Free Floating Hostillity", hand-scuplted frames of clay cast in black rubber and the images in them are lino-cut prints embossed through a press.
• Scott Schell returns this year with more thought-provoking art.
• Claire Louise Stephen will also have new work on display including Hippie Woman #12 - Pamela Sunshine and a closer, meditative look at slugs.
• Rik Watson will have limited-edition silk-screened 2012 calendars for sale titled "Birds and Disasters."
Art in the Swamp will also feature the Peace Maze, the Path of Peace, Hackers' Heaven and the Golden Feet Bridge.
• Art in the Swamp runs Saturday, Sept. 17 and Sunday, Sept. 18 at 25812 Dewdney Trunk Road from 10 a.m. to 4:48 p.m.