- 2015 Federal Election
Sprinklers douse Pitt Meadows apartment fire
A fire which started on a stove in a Pitt Meadows apartment Wednesday morning was quickly extinguished by sprinklers.
A man asleep in the fourth floor suite woke up to the smell of smoke and flames, which set off sprinklers in the Fairway Apartments, located off Lougheed Highway overlooking the Meadows Gardens Golf Course.
Fire chief Don Jolley said the flames were quickly put out by sprinklers but the suite and three below it sustained water damage.
Electricity to the suites was turned off as a result.
“The young man was unaware of the fire on the stove. He was taken to hospital for cautionary reasons,” Jolley added.
The Maple Ridge Fire Department was called to assist Pitt Meadows and helped make sure everyone had evacuated the building.
Most of the residents were allowed back inside the building within an hour.