News

Maple Ridge woman not holding out for answers about missing sister

Sandra Gagnon sits at the Port Haney Wharf, a spot where she spent time with her sister Janet Henry. - Colleen Flanaga/The News
Sandra Gagnon sits at the Port Haney Wharf, a spot where she spent time with her sister Janet Henry.
— image credit: Colleen Flanaga/The News

Sandra Gagnon isn’t optimistic the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry will answer questions about her lost sister.

When formal proceedings begin later this year, she’ll be staying away for the most part.

“I am moving on with my life,” says Gagnon, who reported her sister Janet Henry’s disappearance to police almost 14 years ago, on June 25, 1997.

“It has torn me down in the past and I don’t want it to happen again.”

One of 62 women missing from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, Henry’s face still remains on a “Missing Women” poster.

Although there has been no conclusive DNA evidence linking Henry to Robert Pickton’s Port Coquitlam pig farm, Gagnon has little doubt about where her sister died.

“We haven’t got any answers, but the task force is almost certain that Janet ended up there. They know more than we do, but they don’t tell us everything,” she says.

She still hopes that one day her family will find out what happened to Henry.

“I hope one day we can find answers so we can go back to Alert Bay and have a memorial service and erect a tombstone,” says Gagnon.

Last week, the province announced several families of murdered and missing women will receive government funding to participate in the inquiry.

Gagnon wasn’t one of the 13 applicants who requested financial assistance to participate in formal hearings.

The Missing Women Commission of Inquiry was appointed by the provincial government last year to research the conduct of police investigations into women reported missing from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside between January 23, 1997 and February 5, 2002.

It will also investigate missing women and suspected multiple murders throughout the province.

The commission forums are expected to begin in northern B.C. in mid-June. The final report will be submitted to the attorney general on or before Dec. 31.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C.-only wines to come to some grocery stores
 
Hunters protest shift favouring non-residents
 
Lack of addiction treatment flagged by crime panel
Province okays transit tax referendum question, with some tweaks
 
Rent controls here to stay, province says
 
Province OKs TransLink referendum question
Port truckers angry with rates eye new strike
 
SFU scientist endures 180,000 bedbug bites to help defeat pest
 
RCMP seeks public help in solving arson

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.