Maple Ridge Leisure Centre reopens after evacuation
Just after 1:00 pm an alarm in the Chlorine Room of the Maple Ridge Leisure Centre sounded alerting the pool staff that chlorine gas levels were above normal levels. The Chlorine Room is located on the outside of the building and isolated from the public areas of the Leisure Centre facility.
Leisure Centre Staff immediately contacted the Maple Ridge Fire Department. As a precaution, staff conducted an orderly evacuation of the building allowing patrons to obtain personal belongings. The entire facility, including the pool, fitness centre and youth centre was completely cleared within 10 minutes.
The Maple Ridge Fire Department arrived within a few minutes and followed Hazardous material (Hazmat) protocols around the Chlorine Room. In addition, Firefighters assisted staff in doing a final sweep of the entire facility to ensure that no one remained in the building.
The preliminary assessment was that there was a minor leak in the Chlorine service conduit, and the Fire department, working with Leisure Centre staff, isolated the Chlorine system, purged the conduit and stayed on site until the gas levels Chlorine Room were zero. The automatic Chlorination system has been shut down and manual water testing and chlorination will be used until the main system has been examined by a technician early next week.
At no time did the gas get into any public areas. At no time was there any health risk to patrons, first responders or District staff due to the fast implementation of all safety procedures and protocols.
The Fire Department and District staff would like to thank all of the people that were in the facility at the time of the incident for their cooperation and understanding during the orderly evacuation. Patrons affected by the evacuation were given a complimentary pass for the facility.
The facility has now reopened to the public.