News

Leisure Centre shut down, again

The pool was closed again on Sunday after another leak was detected in the chlorine room. - Colleen Flanagan/THE NEWS
The pool was closed again on Sunday after another leak was detected in the chlorine room.
— image credit: Colleen Flanagan/THE NEWS

More than 100 people had to be evacuated from the Maple Ridge Leisure Centre and Greg Moore Youth Centre on Saturday after a sensor detected a chlorine gas leak in the room where the public pool’s chlorination system is housed.

After reopening Saturday, the facility was closed again on Sunday after a second chlorine alarm went off.

District of Maple Ridge spokesperson Fred Armstrong said there was never a threat to public safety, but the facilities were evacuated as a precautionary measure.

“The level that was detected was way below what is harmful,” he said. “But we thought it was best to err on the side of caution.”

Just after 1 p.m. on Saturday, sensors detected higher than normal chlorine gas levels and an alarm was sounded. A level of one part per million in the air of the facility’s chlorine room, which is located outside of the building and isolated from public areas, was detected.

Chlorine gas is considered very toxic, with exposure causing lung damage at levels of 60 parts per million, according to Health Canada, while levels of 1,000 ppm can be fatal.

Staff at the leisure centre contacted the Maple Ridge Fire Department and evacuated the building Saturday, allowing patrons to obtain their personal belongings.

The entire facility, including the pool, fitness centre and youth centre was cleared within 10 minutes, according to Armstrong, and patrons were given free passes for a return visit.

The fire department, working with pool staff, shut down the chlorination system, and stayed on site until the gas levels in the chlorine room reached zero.

The pool reopened Saturday, but a second chlorine alarm went off Sunday night, forcing staff to close the pool early.

A repair technician confirmed on Tuesday there was a small leak in the chlorine service conduit.

Manual water testing and chlorination will be used until the main system is repaired. However, Armstrong had no idea when that would be.

Staff closed the pool to public swimming, but regularly scheduled swimming lessons were allowed to continue. The pool was reopened to the public Tuesday afternoon.

“At no time did the gas get into any public areas,” said Armstrong. “At no time was there any health risk to patrons, first responders or district staff due to the fast implementation of all safety procedures and protocols.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

LNG tax drops in softer gas market
 
Province legislates rates for container truckers
 
Port truckers get enforced pay, smaller fleet
More government liquor stores may sell cold beer and wine
 
Ridge Meadows Flames stay alive with 4-2 win over Aldergrove Kodiaks
 
Car crashes into Original Applewood Motors showroom in Langley
Election 2014: Traffic top of mind in this campaign
 
B.C. Small Business Month: A beautiful vision in Cloverdale
 
Apartment rents rise slightly in Metro Vancouver, CMHC finds

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.