News

Fire destroys Maple Ridge home

Firefighters fight a house fire on 118th Avenue in Maple Ridge, across from Alexander Robinson elementary, early Wednesday morning. - Barry Brinkman/Special to THE NEWS
Firefighters fight a house fire on 118th Avenue in Maple Ridge, across from Alexander Robinson elementary, early Wednesday morning.
— image credit: Barry Brinkman/Special to THE NEWS

A fire that destroyed a house in Maple Ridge early Wednesday remains under investigation.

The blaze on 118th Avenue, near Alexander Robinson elementary, was discovered around 2:30 a.m. by tenants.

The owners, who lives above them, are out of the country on a holiday but were expected to return home on Thursday.

Fire chief Dane Spence said one of the tenants heard a noise, went to investigate and spotted flames.

The man woke up his wife and young son who fled the house in their pyjamas. They escaped without injuries.

"They didn't have time to take anything but the clothes on their back," said Spence.

Neighbours called the fire department who rushed to the scene to find the back of the house completely engulfed in flames.

"It was a very large fire," said Spence, adding that the flames and water also damaged a second house to the west.

The house and its contents were severely damaged in the fire and are most likely not salvageable.

We are actively investigating the fire but as of now we do not know how it started, said Spence.

Emergency social services were also on hand to help the young couple and their son who were left homeless by the fire.

Crews worked into the morning putting out hot spots that continued to ignite in the debris.

While crews were battling the fire on 118th St., the fire department received a second call for a possible fire at an apartment in the downtown core.

"With potentially two structure fires, it tapped out all of our resources in Maple Ridge and we asked for our fire department partners in Pitt Meadows to assist us," said Spence.

The apartment fire on 223rd Street turned out to be caused by a malfunctioning heating unit.

Once the heating unit was turned off, the smoke in the building dissipated and their fire alarm was reset.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Transit investment key to Metro Vancouver future, conference hears (with VIDEO)
 
Banners honour Pitt Meadows vets
 
B.C. lawyers vote to overturn Trinity Western law school recognition
Most colonoscopies on time in Fraser region despite demand surge
 
Election 2014: Braun says son’s job with city is not an issue
 
City signs new deal with Abbotsford Centre operator
Petition opposes Dignity Village proposal
 
Military theme of Langley Rotary Club gala is very timely
 
Fox finds new election rules poorly promoted

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.