Two minor fires in Maple Ridge
The Maple Ridge fire department kept busy on the weekend responding to motor vehicle crashes and cleaning up two minor fires.
Friday, about 8 a.m., firefighters were called to house at 121st Avenue and 216th Street after a garbage can caught fire in the basement. There were no injuries, but lots of smoke damage in the basement.
“It’s just another reason to be extra careful when you have wastepaper baskets. You don’t want to put anything that potentially could ignite in there,” said fire chief Peter Grootendorst.
On Saturday, about 2 a.m., a shed in a backyard on 232nd Street and 127th Avenue went up in flames. That’s being considered suspicious because there have been previous thefts from the shed.