- BC Games
Fire destroys roof of Maple Ridge house
Fire destroyed the roof of a Maple Ridge house Friday afternoon.
The blaze started around 3:20 p.m. on the back deck of the house on Tamarack Lane, near 234th Street in the Kanaka Creek area.
The fire was spotted by a neighbour who knocked on the door to alert the homeowner.
By the time fire trucks arrived, flames had already climbed up the wall and spread into the attic .
Assistant fire chief Mark Smitton said the cause of the fire is still under investigation, but added it was not suspicious.
“The whole roof and wiring needs replacing,” said Smitton.
“The crews did a good job putting covers over the contents to prevent water damage.”
A man was home at the time of the fire and escaped without any injuries. He rushed to save photo albums while firefighters put out the fire, which was smouldering under the roof.
The Maple Ridge Fire Departments wants to remind residents that a fireworks ban will be strictly enforced this Halloween.
Since 2005, the sale, purchase and lighting of fireworks in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows has been restricted to individuals who hold a certificate from Natural Resources Canada’s Explosives Regulatory Division.
The course costs $100.
The fireworks bylaw allows RCMP, bylaws officials and firefighters to ticket offenders with fines of $1,000 for selling fireworks and $200 for setting them off without a permit.