Sheila Nickols

Kirkland’s cabin in the late 1940s.

Kirkland’s cabin, name stuck

The place was built as a hunting cabin in 1930 by three young men, located on the south slopes of the Golden Ears mountains.

Kirkland’s cabin in the late 1940s.
Sheila Nickols outside the museum

Looking back: Maple Ridge Museum’s past, present, future

As in many communities, a better location in the centre of town would lead to much greater visitation.

Sheila Nickols outside the museum

MRSS looking back at Century ‘74 class

The 1974 graduation class from Maple Ridge secondary is now planning a 40th reunion for June 20-22.

Looking Back’s Sheila Nickols cuts cake in 1992.

Looking Back: This is a year for historical celebration

Coming soon, along with daffodils, and blossom trees, will be Maple Ridge’s 22nd annual Heritage Tea.

Looking Back’s Sheila Nickols cuts cake in 1992.
The Whitehead house on 205th Street in Hammond.

Retain history of Hammond

Hammond has remained a livable community, even though the commercial area has dwindled.

The Whitehead house on 205th Street in Hammond.
Christmas bells line 224th Street in downtown Maple Ridge

Plenty to celebrate in the New Year

Christmas red bell street decorations have hung downtown Maple Ridge since 1966.

Christmas bells line 224th Street in downtown Maple Ridge
First Haney Venturers (from left) Matthew Bennett

The significance of Mount Battery

The Scouts, Rovers and Venturers who have help care for the cairn hope others who visit will read the plaque and examine the time capsule.

First Haney Venturers (from left) Matthew Bennett
The University Women’s Club of Maple Ridge puppet group in the early 1980s.

Recalling the University Women’s Club

University Women’s Club left a legacy of proceeds from sale of its history of Maple Ridge.

The University Women’s Club of Maple Ridge puppet group in the early 1980s.

Cooling off at Davidson’s Pool

local people found their way to the refreshing waters of the North and South Alouette rivers, Kanaka Creek and Whonnock Lake

Looking Back: Music on the Wharf returns for summer ‘13

Nice way to spend summer nights, tunes on the Fraser River

Looking Back: Life and works of Father Dunstan

Artist has devoted his talents to decorating the interior of the Abbey and rectory that sits on Mission hill top

Cartoonist Ernie Poignant was born in Abbotsford.

Newspaper cartoonist told our stories

Ernie Poignant drew weekly cartoons for the Maple Ridge Gazette.

Cartoonist Ernie Poignant was born in Abbotsford.
Two youngsters

Looking back: Skating, sledding in Maple Ridge

A column by Sheila Nickols, past president of the Maple Ridge Historical Society.

Two youngsters
Work begins in 1962 on weird roof on top of Haney Bingo Plex building.

Looking Back: The day fire destroyed Five cents to $1

Haney Bingo Plex building, barber shop here since the 1960s

Work begins in 1962 on weird roof on top of Haney Bingo Plex building.
Charlotte

Looking Back: Rush was an outstanding educator

Charlotte’s father John Thomson had the task of raising his three girls with the help of other relatives and housekeepers.

Charlotte
Original Maple Ridge Baptist Church shortly after construction in 1912.

Maple Ridge Baptist church turns 100

Marking its birthday in early July with three days of special events.

Original Maple Ridge Baptist Church shortly after construction in 1912.
Al Bowman

Something new, old at Heritage Tea

This will be the 20th anniversary for this popular event.

Al Bowman
Simister’s Bakery and Leggatt’s Pool Hall

Port Haney diorama models history

Presentation featuring old photos of 224th Street in Maple Ridge on Thursday.

Simister’s Bakery and Leggatt’s Pool Hall
Adella and Kate Baker of Albion in a portrait taken in a Seattle studio

Fashion in the 20th Century

A column by the Maple Ridge Historical Society

Adella and Kate Baker of Albion in a portrait taken in a Seattle studio
Haida Gwaii a world apart, a living museum

Haida Gwaii a world apart, a living museum

Looking Back - a column by Sheila Nickols

Haida Gwaii a world apart, a living museum