Fuller the first

Dewey van Randen

Dewey van Randen

A new sign along the front of the store replaced the familiar red awning, and for a brief period revealed a bit of the building’s history – the outline of lettering for of a previous sign declaring Fuller Watson as “Haneys Department Store.” It was the first department store in the district –initially operating under the Fuller Watson name in 1924, when located down the hill in Port Haney. It was also the first store in the district to sell gasoline, and at first also sold cookies, fish nets and household appliances, according to the Maple Ridge Museum. The business moved to the highway location in 1931.