The Haney Neptunes were the big winners at the Rotary Duck Race cheque presentation evening last Wednesday.
The local swimming club sold the most tickets for the popular annual fundraiser receiving a cheque for $9,000. They sold 10,000 tickets and received 90 per cent of the profits from the sales.
More than 100 people attended the dinner at Meadow Gardens Golf Course.
Bonnie Telep, with the Haney Rotary Club, was amazed that the Neptunes along with the other local swimming club, the Haney Sea Horse who sold 800 tickets, were able to sell that amount given the fact that currently there is no pool in Maple Ridge for them to practise at.
However, said Telep, there were a variety of organizations that benefited from the proceeds of the race including sports groups, seniors groups, 4H clubs and the local SPCA.
“And they are all getting a good amount of money that you just wouldn’t be able to get selling hot dogs at Safeway,” said Telep.
Telep noted that next year will be the 10th anniversary of the race and she says they will be planning something special.
Rotary Duck Race distribution:
• 1st Pitt Meadows Scouts $990.00
• 1st Whonnock Scouts $1,944.00
• 1st Yennadon Scouts $2,124.00
• Alexander Robinson PAC $2,718.00
• Alouette River Management Society $1,890.00
• 4H Otter & Llama Club $1,800.00
• BCSPCA $ 1,494.00
• Chrysta Aba Academy $900.00
• Davie Jones Elementary PAC $1,089.00
• Eric Langton PAC $396.00
• Fairview Elementary PAC $1,890.00
• Haney Sea Horse $720.00
• Harry Hooge PAC $531.00
• Haney Neptunes $9,000.00
• Kidsport $1,080.00
• Laityview Elementary PAC $1,989.00
• Maple Ridge Concert Band $1,800.00
• Maple Ridge Senior Secondary PAC $900.00
• North Fraser Therapeutic Riding Association $2,394.00
• Pitt Meadows Paddling Club $2,223.00
• Pitt Meadows Elementary PAC $4,320.00
• Pitt Meadows Senior Secondary PAC $8,145.00
• Pitt River 4-H Lamb & Swine Club $1,476.00
• Ridge Canoe & Kayak Club $810.00
• Ridge Meadows Bruins Rugby Club $900.00
• Ridge Meadows Child Development Centre $693.00
• Ridge Meadows Minor Softball Association $7,146.00
• Ridge Meadows Senior Center $2,061.00
• Ridge Meadows Speed Skating Association $1,350.00
• Youth Unlimited $1,530.00
• Meadow Ridge Rotary received $5,420.00 and the Haney Rotary received $4,410.00, plus an additional $700.00 in race day sales.