Heather Lacasse issued a plea for people to register as a stem cell donor, while her boyfriend Jacob Gowler waits for a match. (Contributed photo)

Heather Lacasse issued a plea for people to register as a stem cell donor, while her boyfriend Jacob Gowler waits for a match. (Contributed photo)

Maple Ridge woman ask people to donate stem cells while boyfriend waits for a match

Donations added to worldwide registry

A young Maple Ridge woman is pleading people to register as stem cell donors while she waits for a suitable match for her boyfriend.

Heather Lacasse, 23, who spoke to The News this week, after sharing her quest for help on Facebook.

Her boyfriend Jacob Gowler, also 23, has aplastic anemia. Aplastic anemia is an auto-immune disease in which the body fails to produce white and red blood cells and platelets in a sufficient number. Blood cells are produced in bone marrow by stem cells.

Lacasse said her boyfriend first learned he had the condition after getting his blood tested a few years ago.

SEE ALSO: Surrey teen rallies stem cell donors to help with ‘desperate’ need for South Asians

“He could have been living with it for a couple of years before his system was crashing,” she said.

Some of the symptoms, she added, are fatigue, headaches, and he has a suppressed immune system.

“So, like, if he went out and even got a cold, it would kill him.”

Gowler went through two rounds of immuno-suppressive therapy (ATG treatment), which has not taken. A third round is not an option, she wrote on Facebook.

“Usually, if it was going to work, it would have worked about six months in,” she said.

When Lacasse first met Gowler he was about halfway through his first ATG treatment.

“They thought it was going to work. When I met him he was working out, he was fit, he was happy, he was really enthusiastic and optimistic. He told me he had this condition, but he was going through treatment and he would be fine. He obviously had big plans for the future,” she said.

“When I saw him go through the second treatment, that’s when I saw the mental aspect of it. He was told he can’t workout, he can’t do sports, he can’t go hang out with a bunch of people… You see the collapse of the mental health of a young happy go-lucky guy. That was the hardest part.”

Gowler requires a bone marrow transplant – which, if successful, could result in a wave of cells being reproduced.

SEE ALSO: B.C. teen donating stem cells for brother’s second fight with cancer

“Right now, what we have is a 50 per cent sibling match and a nine out of 10 match from a stranger. But nine out of 10 isn’t very good. He needs a 95 per cent or higher,” Lacasse said. “If he goes ahead with a bone marrow transplant, with the options he has, he’s got a 70-30 chance. He’s got a 30 per cent chance of dying on the table and 70 per cent chance of pulling through surgery.”

Lacasse described getting tested to become a donor as a painless, simple procedure that can be done at home. The first step to register as a potential stem cell donor is to do so on the blood.ca website, she said.

“The registry will send you a stem cell testing kit, it’s basically a mouth swab, (and) you send it back,” she said. “The problem is that you can’t just register to see if you’re eligible to him. You go into a worldwide system, there’s no way around that, unfortunately.”

According to Canada Blood Services, its transplant centre reviews the donor application and suitable donors are requested to make a stem cell donation to the stem cell and marrow registry.

Lacasse said they only have about a year to find a match, “if we don’t, the older he gets the less likely it is to work.”

.

• If there is more to this issue, please let us know about it. Email us at editor@mapleridgenews.com. We look forward to hearing from you. In the meantime, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

blood donorHealthcare

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Maureen Blamey is a seniors outreach social worker with the geriatrics team. (Colleen Flanagan/The News)
New geriatrics team to help seniors in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows

The Seniors Service Team was formed to improve the quality of life for pre-frail and frail, medically complex seniors

Baillie House long-term care is located at Ridge Meadows Hospital. (Google Maps)
Five people test positive for COVID-19 at Maple Ridge’s Baillie House

Long-term care facility is one month removed from its last outbreak

Maple Ridge - Pitt Meadows MLA Lisa Beare (Special to The News)
Maple Ridge – Pitt Meadows MLA Beare performs one of first official acts in new office

Order permitting use of additional communication tools in public sector during pandemic extended

Pitt Meadows Mayor Bill Dingwall. (Neil Corbett/THE NEWS)
Pitt Meadows city hall and residents oppose new CP Rail operation

Company announces plans for CP Logistics Park: Vancouver

RCMP responded to a pedestrian accident Wednesday in Pitt Meadows. (The News files)
Senior pedestrian struck by vehicle in Pitt Meadows

Driver stayed on scene, ticketed by RCMP

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Another 694 diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. Thursday

Three more health care outbreaks, 12 deaths

Cops converge in a Marshall Road parking lot on Thursday afternoon following a reported police incident. (Ben Lypka/Abbotsford News)
Federal offender escapes, gets shot at and is taken back into custody in Abbotsford

Several branches of law enforcement find escapee a short distance from where he fled

A demonstrator wears representations of sea lice outside the Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices in downtown Vancouver Sept. 24, demanding more action on the Cohen Commission recommendations to protect wild Fraser River sockeye. (Quinn Bender photo)
First Nations renew call to revoke salmon farm licences

Leadership council implores use of precautionary principle in Discovery Islands

Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps poses for a photo with his parents Amanda Sully and Adam Deschamps in this undated handout photo. Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps was the first baby in Canada to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy through Ontario’s newborn screening program. The test was added to the program six days before he was born. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario *MANDATORY CREDIT*
First newborn tested for spinal muscular atrophy in Canada hits new milestones

‘If Aidan had been born any earlier or anywhere else our story would be quite different’

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

(Pixabay)
Canadians’ mental health has deteriorated with the second wave, study finds

Increased substance use one of the ways people are coping

Lefeuvre Road, near Myrtle Avenue, was blocked to traffic on Thursday (Dec. 3) after an abandoned pickup truck was found on fire. Police are investigating to determine if there are any links to a killing an hour earlier in Surrey. (Shane MacKichan photo)
Torched truck found in Abbotsford an hour after killing in Surrey

Police still investigating to determine if incidents are linked

Surrey Pretrial centre in Newton. (Photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Surrey Pretrial hit with human rights complaint over mattress

The inmate who lodged the complaint said he needed a second mattress to help him manage his arthritis

Most Read