Community

Osprey Village in Pitt Meadows includes dozens of local businesses, ranging from coffee shops to salons. (Brandon Tucker/The News)

Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows shoppers being pushed to shop locally this Black Friday

Business Improvement Association and Chamber of Commerce say local support is needed

Osprey Village in Pitt Meadows includes dozens of local businesses, ranging from coffee shops to salons. (Brandon Tucker/The News)
The Maple Ridge Choral Society will be part of the event. (The News files)

Ridge Meadows Hospice Society hosts A Time to Remember

Photo tribute to loved ones, songs from Maple Ridge Choral Society

The Maple Ridge Choral Society will be part of the event. (The News files)
The Downtown Maple Ridge BIA is offering Christmas gift wrapping for donations to the food bank. (Downtown Maple Ridge BIA/Special to The News)

Downtown Maple Ridge BIA offering holiday gift wrapping for a good cause

The service is being offered to raise money for the Friends In Need Food Bank

The Downtown Maple Ridge BIA is offering Christmas gift wrapping for donations to the food bank. (Downtown Maple Ridge BIA/Special to The News)
Flori Chaykowski, executive director of the Downtown Maple Ridge Business Improvement Association, left, and Dave Sheppard with Haney Appliance and Sound draw receipts for the BIA’s Win Your Wish contest last year. (The News files)

Maple Ridge BIA Win Your Wish kicks off

10th annual event runs until midnight Saturday, Dec. 31

Flori Chaykowski, executive director of the Downtown Maple Ridge Business Improvement Association, left, and Dave Sheppard with Haney Appliance and Sound draw receipts for the BIA’s Win Your Wish contest last year. (The News files)
This Pitt Meadows home located at 12295 Bonson Rd. put up an impressive Christmas display last year. (Special to The News)

Light displays are popping up around Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows

Submit impressive local holiday decorations to be included in annual list

This Pitt Meadows home located at 12295 Bonson Rd. put up an impressive Christmas display last year. (Special to The News)
With its GivingTuesday campaign, ARMS is asking for financial support of its conservation efforts. (ARMS Facebook/Special to The News)

Maple Ridge salmon group joins in global campaign

Alouette River Management Society taking part in GivingTuesday fundraiser

With its GivingTuesday campaign, ARMS is asking for financial support of its conservation efforts. (ARMS Facebook/Special to The News)
The MRSS choir sings during the drive-thru toy donation event. (Neil Corbett/The News)

Maple Ridge Secondary students doing annual toy drive

Donate new, unwrapped toys at the school office until Nov. 29

The MRSS choir sings during the drive-thru toy donation event. (Neil Corbett/The News)
Beadwork that will be for sale at the Katzie Christmas Craft Fair. (Special to The News)
Beadwork that will be for sale at the Katzie Christmas Craft Fair. (Special to The News)
Collections boxes for socks for those in need have been placed around town. (The News files)
Collections boxes for socks for those in need have been placed around town. (The News files)
Christmas Haven volunteers Corisa Bell and Alyson Cuthbertson. (Facebook)

Christmas Haven returns to Maple Ridge with Dec. 24 celebration

Back in-person, to make sure nobody has to spend Christmas Eve alone

Christmas Haven volunteers Corisa Bell and Alyson Cuthbertson. (Facebook)
Katrina Kadoski is B.C.’s ‘Cougar Annie’. (submitted)

PODCAST.: Katrina Kadoski is B.C.’s ‘Cougar Annie’

TODAY IN B.C.: Singer-songwriter tells story of legendary pioneer in one-woman show

Katrina Kadoski is B.C.’s ‘Cougar Annie’. (submitted)
Hang a decoration on the Tree of Memories at the Maple Ridge Cemetery. (City of Maple Ridge/Special to The News)

Tree of Memories at Maple Ridge Cemetery

Continues annual tradition of hanging a decoration to memorialize a loved on

Hang a decoration on the Tree of Memories at the Maple Ridge Cemetery. (City of Maple Ridge/Special to The News)
The Fern Crescent residency in Maple Ridge. (City of Maple Ridge website/Special to The News)

Artist in Residence wanted for Maple Ridge

Successful applicant will live and work at the Fern Crescent residency

The Fern Crescent residency in Maple Ridge. (City of Maple Ridge website/Special to The News)
The Hive Neighbourhood Centre is holding their 12th annual winter Children’s Freecycle. (Special to The News)

Clothing Freecyle for those in need in Maple Ridge

The HIVE Neighbourhood Centre 12th annual winter event this weekend

The Hive Neighbourhood Centre is holding their 12th annual winter Children’s Freecycle. (Special to The News)
Firefighter Amy Golsteyn, left, and firefighter Rob Solteiro will be holding out their boots on Saturday, Dec. 10, for the Friends In Need Food Bank and the Maple Ridge Pitt Meadows Christmas Hamper Society. (Special to The News)
Firefighter Amy Golsteyn, left, and firefighter Rob Solteiro will be holding out their boots on Saturday, Dec. 10, for the Friends In Need Food Bank and the Maple Ridge Pitt Meadows Christmas Hamper Society. (Special to The News)
During a recent lunch hour, Wyatt Gardner heard an unexpected racket coming from his backyard, near the Kanaka Creek fish fence. He suspected he knew what it might be. “I heard a great big noise coming from the far end of my property,” he explained. “As soon as I saw the bear, I grabbed my bucket and camera and ran to get this picture. In order to take this shot, I decided to stand on a five-gallon bucket, because I am only 4 ft. 10 in.” (Special to The News)

SHARE: Backyard uproar lands ‘bucket’ shot

Send us your photo showing how you view Maple Ridge or Pitt Meadows, and it could be featured soon

• Nov 22, 2022
During a recent lunch hour, Wyatt Gardner heard an unexpected racket coming from his backyard, near the Kanaka Creek fish fence. He suspected he knew what it might be. “I heard a great big noise coming from the far end of my property,” he explained. “As soon as I saw the bear, I grabbed my bucket and camera and ran to get this picture. In order to take this shot, I decided to stand on a five-gallon bucket, because I am only 4 ft. 10 in.” (Special to The News)
Hammond’s Ron Paley, an outdoor enthusiast, makes frequent trips to Golden Ears Provincial Park, even on chilly days. He and friends (two-legged and four-legged) recently hit the East Canyon Trail and another day visited part of Alouette Mountain and Memorial Trails. Various depths of snow could be seen covering the trees and trails. (Special to The News)

SHARE: Smattering of snow blankets Golden Ears

Send us your photo showing how you view Maple Ridge or Pitt Meadows, and it could be featured soon

• Nov 27, 2022
Hammond’s Ron Paley, an outdoor enthusiast, makes frequent trips to Golden Ears Provincial Park, even on chilly days. He and friends (two-legged and four-legged) recently hit the East Canyon Trail and another day visited part of Alouette Mountain and Memorial Trails. Various depths of snow could be seen covering the trees and trails. (Special to The News)
Outdoor enthusiast Ron Paley, of Hammond, shared a series of pictures he’s captured while biking and hiking around the community, each depicting the beauty of autumn. (Special to The News)

SHARE: Fall arrives in stunning fashion

• Nov 26, 2022
Outdoor enthusiast Ron Paley, of Hammond, shared a series of pictures he’s captured while biking and hiking around the community, each depicting the beauty of autumn. (Special to The News)
Jos Pal shared a picture he snapped while out biking along the North Alouette Greenway on a gorgeous fall day between two atmospheric rivers. Pictures of the cranberry fields and other farmland are commonly submitted to the Through Your Lens feature. (Special to The News)

SHARE: Between storms

• Nov 23, 2022
Jos Pal shared a picture he snapped while out biking along the North Alouette Greenway on a gorgeous fall day between two atmospheric rivers. Pictures of the cranberry fields and other farmland are commonly submitted to the Through Your Lens feature. (Special to The News)
Maple Ridge’s Selyn Tan shared what she saw through her lens when visiting a popular local haunt. “A lone rower is not [really] alone in enjoying the tranquility of Whonnock Lake,” she said. (Special to The News.

SHARE: Paddler’s prestine paradise

• Nov 28, 2022
Maple Ridge’s Selyn Tan shared what she saw through her lens when visiting a popular local haunt. “A lone rower is not [really] alone in enjoying the tranquility of Whonnock Lake,” she said. (Special to The News.