The Alouette River was awash in yellow Sunday as almost 9,000 rubber ducks made their way down it as part of the third annual Rotary Duck Race.
The event raised $89,555 for a total of 27 non-profit organizations and Rotary youth projects in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows.
The amount was up slightly from last year’s $88,500, said organizer Bob Schantz.
“We didn’t know if we could top last year’s efforts, but we are very pleased at the support from the community.”
He said organizers were encouraged by the number of youth groups who took part in this year’s event, almost double from last year.
Shantz said the funds will be distributed by the Rotary clubs on Sept. 18. He said the actual race, which takes about 10 minutes to run, was the result of the hard work of a number of club members and a dedicated group of volunteers.
“We couldn’t do this without their hard work.”
• Maria Scaglione was the first place winner of the 2013 Fiat 500, valued $25,000. The prize was donated by Fiat of Maple Ridge and Maple Ridge Chrysler.
• Nancy Bilodeau was the winner of the $3,500 household furniture or appliances package thanks to Fuller Watson.
• Amy McCallum won a one-week Alaskan Cruise, valued at $3,200, and donated by RBC Dominion Securities and Port Moody Travel.
• Linda Ravenor won a one-week stay at Whistler, valued at $3,000, thanks to Mark’s Work Warehouse.
• Lynee Douglas won a pair of rounds of golf for four, valued at $870, at Meadow Gardens Golf Course.
• Carrie Booth won a $500 32’ flat screen TV from Audio Video Unlimited at Haney Sewing and Sound.