The passion sushi chef Ken Lau has for his craft comes through in every dish.
Opening Musou Sushi six months ago, the intimate, six-table restaurant by the Maple Ridge Library on Dewdney Trunk Road quickly gained a local following. Here, the artwork isn’t only on the walls, it’s also on the plate.
Embarking on his career at age 19, Ken travelled the globe, learning from some of the best chefs in Toronto, Sydney, Australia, and Taipei, Taiwan. Returning to Richmond, he trained with a Japanese chef who had perfected his craft for 40 years.
“It’s very tempting. I have been making sushi for 13 years and I have been eating sushi every meal daily for 13 years – I love it!” Ken says.
His customers agree, offering five-star ratings and saluting the chef for his fresh flavours – from soups to sauces, it’s all made in-house.
Taking a traditional approach, Ken chooses ingredients like the flavourful Anago, a staple in Japanese sushi, replacing the less tasty eel commonly used in Canada.
At the same time, you might notice a few unconventional ingredients – Canadian maple syrup-infused crab in his California rolls, for example.
“It’s traditional sushi, with a North American twist,” Ken says.
How do you like your sushi?
- Nigiri – Ken’s personal favourite, find up to 20 different varieties – fresh, delicately prepared fish over a bed of perfectly cooked rice. “The rice really matters – the taste of it; the texture of it. Together, it’s just magic in your mouth,” Ken says. You’ll also find 10 special rolls on the menu, but if your go-to selection isn’t on the menu, ask! If Ken has the ingredients, he’s happy to create your favourite.
- Poké with a twist – If you’ve caught the poké trend sweeping local shops and restaurants, Ken delights diners with his own take on the rice and seafood treat. For sashimi purists, Ken also offers a beautiful sashimi bowl, served over ice, with a variety of all-edible garnish and accompaniments like carrot, radish and cucumber.
- New to sushi or looking for an extra-special evening? Simply provide Ken with your budget and preferred ingredients and he’ll create a meal just for you. “It’s a really good way to try a variety of things and really get a taste of what we’re creating,” he says. While not required, it’s preferred if guests call ahead for this unique menu option.
- Combos: Can’t decide? Look for a selection of combo offerings such as a rice and miso soup duo and a sushi roll with a bowl of rice or udon.
- Sushi to go: While you’ll miss the ambience of this charming restaurant, you’ll enjoy a 10 per cent discount if you order your meal to go. And if you can call a full hour ahead, save 15 per cent!
Open Monday to Saturday for lunch and dinner, visit Musou Sushi at 110-22470 Dewdney Trunk Rd. or call 604-477-4447.