A 90-year-old man was rescued from his burning home Saturday evening in Maple Ridge.
The fire started around 9 p.m. at a house in the 21000 block of Wicklund Avenue.
Upon arrival, members of the Maple Ridge fire department had to rush into the burning house to pull the lone occupant of the building to safety.
The man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.
“He’s recovering.He’s expected to make a full recovery,” said deputy fire chief Michael Van Dop.
“He was conscious when we pulled him out,” he added.
The fire was contained to the living room but there was significant smoke damage to the entire building.
Van Dop said Monday that the fire appears to have been accidental, possibly electrical.
The occupant was still in hospital.
“He was very lucky, and very fortunate that he got out,” Van Dop said.