The election event calendar is getting more crowded as the May 14 voting day nears, with several all-candidates’ events now in the works.
• Thursday was the first gathering for Maple Ridge-Mission candidates as the Whonnock Community Association hosted an all candidates meeting.
• That will be followed on Tuesday, April 30 by an all-candidates’ meeting for seniors starting at 1:30 p.m. at the Ridge Meadows Seniors Centre, 12150 – 224th St. Candidates from both Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge-Mission will be there. For information on that event, contact Bob Goos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Another all candidates meeting hosted by the Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows Chamber of Commerce for both ridings is scheduled for Thursday, May 2 at 7 p.m. at Meadowridge school.
• Education will be the topic of an all-candidates meeting at Thomas Haney secondary, on May 6 at 7 p.m.
School District No. 42 and the district parent advisory council are organizing the meeting. The forum will begin with a preamble from candidates, followed by questions from the floor.
• This Friday, Liberal leader Christy Clark makes a return visit to Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows, where she gets to a 6 p.m. rally at the South Bonson Community Centre, 10932 Barnston View Rd. in Pitt Meadows.
Liberal contenders Marc Dalton and Doug Bing will be there and possibly some former Liberal cabinet ministers who will bolster local candidates’ efforts.
Clark’s arrival will be preceded by campaign kickoff for the Liberals. Other candidates such as Simon Gibson, Barbara Lu and Rich Coleman will be there.
• The NDP will also be importing at least one candidate from outside the riding to bolster their chances. Jagrup Brar, Surrey-Fleetwood MLA will talk about small business with Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows candidate Elizabeth Rosenau at the Black Sheep Pub at 3 p.m. on April 29. Tickets though are $100 for party supporters.