Supporters showed up at the courthouse in Port Alberni for the schedule appearance of a woman and her partner charged with assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement on Jan. 11, 2019. (Susie Quinn/Alberni Valley News)

B.C. parents get conditional discharge in assault of child-luring suspect

Couple and family friend were alleged to have captured a man who planned to have sex with daughter

A Port Alberni mother and stepfather pleaded guilty on Friday to assault in a suspected child-luring case involving their 13-year-old daughter.

The couple and a family friend had been accused of assault causing bodily harm and unlawful confinement. They were alleged to have beaten and tied up a man who had come to the couple’s home to allegedly have sex with their 13-year-old daughter.

READ MORE: Vancouver Island parents charged for capture of child luring suspect

A publication ban was put in place to protect the girl’s identity.

The mother and stepfather originally pleaded not guilty on Jan. 2, but changed their pleas on Friday in provincial court in Port Alberni. The girl’s mother pleaded to a lesser charge of common assault, while the stepfather pleaded to one charge of assault causing bodily harm.

The family friend also pleaded guilty to one count assault causing bodily harm.

Charges of unlawful confinement were stayed for all three.

All were given conditional discharges of six to 12 months, meaning if they follows certain conditions, they won’t have a criminal record for the matter once their sentences are up.

The assaults occurred last April, when RCMP were called to a disturbance in the 3600-block of Bruce Street and discovered a 28-year-old man injured and secured with zap-straps.

The man, who is the subject of an ongoing child-luring investigation, had allegedly come to the home to meet and have sex with a 13-year-old girl, according to the girl’s mother.

RCMP have said the man has not been charged, and that the incident is “still under investigation.” Crown counsel confirmed there are no charges against the suspect.

In presenting the sentences, Justice Ronald Lamperson cautioned people against vigilante justice.

“We don’t in Canadian society condone vigilante justice,” he said. “That message should be clear to the community.”

A small group of supporters sitting in the courtroom clapped after the judge sentenced the mother and stepfather.

Maureen Kelly was one of many who arrived early outside the courthouse to hold a sign in protest of the charges, even though she doesn’t know the people involved.

“Maybe it wasn’t right what they did, but they were left with little choice,” Kelly said before going inside to listen to proceedings. “How else are you supposed to protect your children?”

Natasha Geddes also went to the courthouse in support of the parents. “I think it’s disgusting. Maybe what the parents did wasn’t the greatest, but I don’t think there’s anything else they could have done.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Donations pour in to ensure Maple Rdige hospital staff are fed

Restaurants owners, and others, helping to ensure frontline crew at Ridge Meadows Hospital eat

Ridge Meadows Home Show returns in 2021

Organizers hoped to simply postpone the spring event, but ultimately had to cancel for 2020

VIDEO: Maple Ridge man’s family makes his 85th birthday special

Barney Schollen’s kids and grandkids made signs and sang to him on March 28

VIDEO: Mayor Mike Morden updates Maple Ridge about COVID-19 crisis

Mayor of Maple Ridge says the city takes its lead from the province

‘Less traffic does not make safe driving less important,’ says Ridge Meadows inspector

RCMP warn against excessive speeding after two caught driving almost 50 km/hr over limit

VIDEO: ‘Used gloves and masks go in the garbage,’ says irked B.C. mayor

Health officials have said single-use gloves won’t do much to curb the spread of COVID-19

Sex workers face new risks during COVID-19 pandemic

‘Desperation has kicked in’ for vulnerable, undocumented workers unable to access help

Unclear if Cowichan couple refusing to self-isolate will face penalty

No fines or charges have been laid to date, including Cowichan couple who won’t self isolate

COVID-19: Postponed surgeries will be done, B.C. health minister says

Contract with private surgical clinic to help clear backlog

Black Press Media ad sparks discussion about value of community newspapers

White Rock resident hopes front-page note shines light on revenue loss during COVID-19 crisis

Vancouver man, 21, charged after mother found dead in Squamish home

Ryan Grantham, 21, has been charged with second-degree murder

Fraser Valley’s tulips fields off limits to visitors due to COVID-19

Abbotsford and Chilliwack tulip farmers have announced their festival season won’t go ahead

Don’t stop going to the doctor, just do it virtually: B.C. association

Doctors encourage patients to access telephone, online visits

Most Read