Crews respond to another fire at Anita Place Tent City

Witnesses heard three to four explosions at camp on 223rd Street in Maple Ridge.

There was another fire at tent city on Wednesday. (Contributed)

Crews responded to a fire at Anita Place Tent City in Maple Ridge on Wednesday, just days after heat and electrical sources were removed from the homeless camp on 223rd Street as part of a court order to address safety issues there.

Residents in the area reported hearing “multiple” explosions around 2:20 p.m. Some witnesses said they heard three or four explosions.

Marsha Salonga was across the street by St. Anne’s Clinic at the time and took pictures of the fire, near the entrance to the camp.

Flames shot higher than nearby tents and a tall tree was ignited.

She said the fire department arrived and quickly put the fire out.

“I’m very impressed with first responders,” she added.

Another said: “Flames were just roaring.”

Jaime Chalmers, who lives a block away from the camp, heard the explosions.

“It sounded like someone drove a car through my front room. The whole house shook.”

She ran down to the homeless camp.

“There was a huge plumage of black smoke from tent city,” she added.

“It was like a volcano erupting.”

RCMP also attended.

“Currently, it is a fire matter,” said RCMP Sgt. Brenda Gresiuk.

It is not known if anyone was injured. No ambulance responded.

Wednesday’s fire is the seventh at the homeless camp since its inception in May 2017, during one of which a woman was seriously injured.

Dwayne Martin, who was arrested on the weekend and charged, was in his shack when he heard the explosions and rushed out to use a fire extinguisher on the fire.

“It was massive. The fire department was there quickly, he added.

“They were really good. They did a fantastic job.”

It’s not certain what exactly caused the blaze or what exploded.

The Maple Ridge fire department was unavailable for comment.

On Sunday, six people were arrested for violation of the City of Maple Ridge’s court injunction order for the homeless camp, including Martin, who had barricaded himself inside his wooden structure.

Police and bylaws set up a barricade around Anita Place Tent City on Saturday and residents were asked for identification to be put on a list for housing, while the fire department enforced safety regulations imposed by a B.C. Supreme Court order, issued by Justice Christopher Grauer earlier this month.

Electricity to the camp and heat to its warming tent were cut off Friday, when it snowed, and remained so on Wednesday, while heat sources were removed.

According to the city, propane tanks had been tampered with and the supplier decided to remove them.

“This represented an extreme fire hazard …”

The electrical panel had also been tampered with and was open to the elements, creating a risk of electrocution, said the city.

Earlier Wednesday, Ivan Drury, with Alliance Against Displacement, said residents were starting to bring back heaters and fuel into the camp.

“Guess what happens when there’s no police?” added Drury, who was also arrested on the weekend and released on bail.

“You’re going to take them away, people bring them back.

“So what’s the point of this? It’s just an exercise in force.”

 

Emergency crews responded to a call about a fire at the camp on Wednesday.

Just Posted

Bypass accident snarls traffic in Maple Ridge

Traffic down to one lane in both directions

Family inspires Maple Ridge man to continue his Ride to Conquer Cancer

In 2016 Dwayne Martin lost four people in his life to the disease

Sea bus service proposed along Fraser River

Maple Ridge councillor just wants to start discussion

Pitt Meadows gets some help for flood plan

$412,000, but not for dike upgrades

Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows folks take in rides at PNE

Fall exhibition heralds end of summer

Trudeau vows to stand firm against ‘increasingly assertive’ China

China has accused Canada of meddling in its affairs

Vancouver Island father says he attempted suicide a month before murders

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

‘Plenty of time for a deal’: Teachers’ union expects kids back in school on Sept. 3

BCTF says class size, composition at the heart of the issue

Province funds new shuttle buses for 13 B.C. senior centres

Activity, socializing helps maintain health, Adrian Dix says

Thermal imaging cameras eye Salish Sea in hopes of better detecting whales

Cameras installed at BC Ferries’ terminal on Galiano Island, and off southern Gulf Islands

BREAKING: Province approves Surrey police force

Minister of Public Safety Mike Farnworth green-lights city’s municipal police force

Two Vancouver police officers bitten, scratched after ‘violent’ arrest

Police will recommend charges against a 50-year-old man

B.C. father tells judge he did not kill his young daughters

Andrew Berry pleaded not guilty to the December 2017 deaths

Police watchdog investigating two officers after Langley teen’s suspected overdose

According to IIO, two officers were deployed to help Carson Crimeni but did not locate him before he died

Most Read