People were taken to hospital for check up after CO exposure, Tuesday in Pitt Meadows. (THE NEWS – files)

Close carbon monoxide call in Pitt Meadows

16 people treated for exposure to CO on Tuesday

Seven people were treated at the scene for light carbon monoxide exposure and another nine were taken by ambulance to hospital for observation Tuesday after a carbon monoxide leak in Pitt Meadows.

And now the city’s deputy fire chief is advocating for more carbon monoxide detectors and furnace inspections.

Emergency crews responded to a commercial building complex in the 19100-block of Ford Road at around 3:30 p.m. after reports of people feeling nauseous and an odd smell in the building.

They immediately evacuated the building, which houses a medical clinic, pharmacy and accounting firm, and called for Fortis Gas and B.C. Emergency Health Services.

Carbon monoxide meters showed a level of 300 ppm.

Pitt Meadows deputy fire chief Dave Biggin said a faulty HVAC system on the roof of the building was the cause of the leak, adding that it took about 40 minutes to clear the building of the invisible and odourless gas.

After fire crews cleared the building of carbon monoxide, a gas technician entered and shut the system off.

Paramedics cared for and transported nine patients, all in stable condition, to hospital for observation.

“B.C. Ambulance had an excellent response for the patients. It was cold, it was wet,” Biggin added.

He said any home or commercial building that has a gas-fired furnace or hot water heater should have that appliance inspected by a licensed professional every year.

Every building that’s so equipped should also have a carbon monoxide detector on every floor, and it should be replaced every eight years.

Smoke alarms are mandatory, but carbon monoxide detectors are not in B.C. except for in parkades, Biggin added.

“Carbon monoxide … is colourless, it’s odourless and it does not take a lot to be fatal,” Craig Helm, gas safety officer with Technical Safety B.C. said last month during Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

“One per cent of carbon monoxide in the air is actually fatal.”

Symptoms of CO poisoning, according to Technical Safety B.C.’s website, can include headaches and confusion, nausea and dizziness, and later, breathlessness and loss of consciousness.

However, as Helm said, CO can be harmful in a short amount of time.

“So many places it can come from, that’s why it’s so important to have a carbon monoxide detector,” he said.

“It can save your life.”



pmelnychuk@mapleridgenews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Tania Campfield donated one of her kidneys to her fiancé John Kalinich. (Tania Campfield/Special to The News)
Pitt Meadows woman donates kidney to fiancé

They plan to be married in 2021

Legion president Al Casswell hands a poppy to Pitt Meadows Mayor Bill Dingwall. (Special to The News)
Legion poppy campaign will start Nov. 1

Maple Ridge’s Legion branch has been raising more than $72,000

Mario Palcich sits atop his 161 pound pumpkin and enjoys a glass of wine. (Special to THE NEWS)
88-year-old Pitt Meadows farmer grows 161-pound pumpkin

Granddaughter goaded Mario Palcich into growing giant gourds

One of the options city council is looking at to reduce greenhouse gases is strengthening development requirements for electric vehicle charging infrastructure. (The News files)
New net zero greenhouse gas emission target for Maple Ridge

City voted to change the target on Oct. 20

There is a case of COVID-19 at Baillie House, located on the grounds of Ridge Meadows Hospital. (Image courtesy CDC)
COVID-19 case at Baillie House in Maple Ridge

Seniors facility at Ridge Meadows Hospital one of five with new cases in region

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry presents modelling of COVID-19 spread in B.C., March 25, 2020. (B.C. government photo)
B.C. sets another COVID-19 record with 203 new cases

up to 1,766 active cases in B.C., two more deaths

More and more electric cars are on the road, but one Chevy Bolt owner was shocked to see how much his BC Hydro bill skyrocketed once he started charging the vehicle. (Black Press file photo)
Lower Mainland man sees significant spike in BC Hydro bill after buying electrical vehicle

An increase should be expected, but Brian Chwiendacz experienced a 200-plus per cent hike

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

The Anonymous YVR is an Instagram page that reviews restaurants and other establishments around B.C. based on how well they adhere to COVID-19 rules. (Instagram)
Anonymous Instagram page reviews COVID-19 safety measures at B.C. businesses

There are a number of public health orders various types of establishments must follow to slow virus’s spread

The Vancouver Canucks and Abbotsford’s Jake Virtanen have agreed to a two-year deal with an average annual salary of $2.55 million. (@Canucks Twitter photo)
Abbotsford’s Jake Virtanen, Vancouver Canucks agree to two-year deal

Two sides avoid arbitration, Virtanen will receive average annual salary of $2.55 million

Most Read