TransLink does not yet have the capability to rapidly auto-restart a shut down SkyTrain line

Fast SkyTrain restart five years away

Rapid transit shutdown halted Expo Line trains more than two hours as thousands of fans tried to get to Canucks game in Vancouver

It will be nearly five years before TransLink expects to have a solution in place to rapidly restart a stalled SkyTrain line and avoid long stoppages like the one on Saturday night.

A power surge shut down Expo Line trains for up to two and a quarter hours starting at 6 p.m. Saturday as thousands of Canucks fans were trying to get downtown for a hockey game.

Twelve of the 19 trains that had to be halted to ensure passenger safety were stuck on the tracks between stations and staff had to manually drive them back to the nearest station and re-enter them in the computer system.

It’s been nearly one year since an independent review recommended TransLink spend $71 million on system upgrades following major SkyTrain meltdowns the previous summer.

The top operational recommendation from consultant Gary McNeil was to add an auto-restart function to the control system that would allow trains to reinitialize and begin moving automatically in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

His report noted an auto-restart module was available when the SkyTrain control software was upgraded in 1994, but the version that was installed then did not include it.

TransLink is now targeting 2020 for completion of the auto-restart capability, said Colleen Brennan, vice-president of communications.

Feasibility studies are to be complete by next summer, followed by a business case and then a request for proposals.

She said it’s a “fairly complex undertaking” because of a series of technical prerequisites, including the replacement of copper cables with fibre optics along the lines.

“It’s not a plug-and-play kind of a system,” Brennan said. “It actually has to be developed and it has to be purpose-built specifically for the system we have.”

McNeil’s report suggested auto-restart might cost $5 million, but Brennan said it’s premature to provide a cost estimate.

Six out of 20 recommendations from McNeil are complete, with 11 in progress and three in the development stage.

Only one person pried open train doors and walked out on the tracks Saturday, according to TransLink spokesperson Anne Drennan, who called that “a major improvement” over unauthorized mass exits last year that further delayed the ability of staff to drive trains back into stations.

“The response was pretty incredible this time in terms of getting it back up and running,” Drennan said.

She credited improved announcements and communications this time – which were also McNeil recommendations – that helped reassure passengers, who “were quite patient.”

Many of the riders stranded at stations used bus bridges to get downtown.

About half the Expo line from King George to Edmonds was running by 7:15, allowing the buses to redeploy to the Vancouver segment of the line.

The Millennium and Canada lines were not affected.

Just Posted

Draft pot store policy favours government run

Maple Ridge council reviews Tuesday

UPDATE: Maple Ridge homicide victim identified as full-patch member of Hells Angels

Chad John Wilson was one of four men arrested in Spain in 2013 on allegations of smuggling cocaine.

OPINION: Full-time

New Pitt Meadows mayor wants to hire two full-time firefighters.

11 years sought for Burnaby man who killed girlfriend with hammer, burned her body

Manslaughter sentencing hearing starts Monday in BC Supreme Court in Chilliwack for Ryan Armstrong

OUTLOOK: Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows adding, upgrading rec facilities

Opening date for Leisure Centre not set yet.

Six students arrested, charged in sex assault probe at Toronto all-boys school

The school’s principal, Greg Reeves, described the video of the alleged sexual assault as ‘horrific’

Ottawa Redblacks defensive back Jonathan Rose suspended for Grey Cup

Rose was flagged for unnecessary roughness and ejected for contacting an official with 37 seconds left in the first half following a sideline melee after a Tiger-Cats reception.

Mistrial declared in Dennis Oland’s retrial in father’s murder

The verdict from Oland’s 2015 murder trial was set aside on appeal in 2016 and a new trial ordered. Richard Oland, 69, was found dead in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011.

VIDEO: Young hockey players meet legends in Langley

Eight- and nine-year-olds have close encounter with Dionne, Lafleur and Palmateer

Laine scores 3 as Jets double Canucks 6-3

Injury-riddled Vancouver side drops sixth in a row

Deportation averted for Putin critic who feared return to Russia

Elena Musikhina, a vocal critic of the Kremlin, has been granted a two-year visitor’s permit in Canada

B.C. to allow Uber-style ride hailing services to operate in late 2019

Fee will be applied to fund options for disabled people

Auditor general takes aim at Liberals’ fighter-jet plan

Suditor general Michael Ferguson is about to release a new report on Canada’s attempts to buy new fighter jets

B.C. couple converts ambulance into a traveling home

The Revelstoke couple plan on touring B.C. ski hills then driving to Mexico

Most Read