Fire at Pitt Meadows greenhouse building

Fire at Pitt Meadows greenhouse building

Firefighters control blaze early Monday morning

Pitt Meadows firefighters were able to quickly knock down a fire at a rural storage building overnight Sunday.

Acting chief Brad Perrie said the call came in at 12:50 a.m. on Monday about a structure fire at a former greenhouse building in the 1300 block of McKechnie Road.

The fire appears to have been electrical in origin, he said, possibly caused by extension cords, and firefighters believe wooden pallets were the source of ignition.

Perrie said the greenhouse had been damaged by heavy snow in 2008, and the owners had tarped the roof and were using it for storage.