The Thornhill Fire Department responded to the call from the family at 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15 on Tsunyow Street in Gitaus. (Screenshot)

The Thornhill Fire Department responded to the call from the family at 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15 on Tsunyow Street in Gitaus. (Screenshot)

Fire damages Terrace family’s home 10 days before Christmas

Family is safe, though fire killed two pets early Sunday morning

  • Dec. 16, 2019 3:00 p.m.

A Gitaus family is hoping for a Christmas miracle after their home and most of their belongings were damaged in a fire that also claimed the lives of two of their pets.

The Seymour family woke up just after midnight on Saturday, Dec. 14, to find their Tsunyow Street home on fire. They made a lucky escape, but two of their pets didn’t make it out, their newly arrived kitten Lulu and their hamster, Hamlet.

Lulu was a birthday gift for the family’s daughter who celebrated her 13th birthday on Sunday.

Mom Danielle Seymour’s sister Chrystal, speaking on behalf on the family, said with ten days left until Christmas the family needed the community’s help more than ever.

She said along with the death of their two pets, the Seymours also lost most of their belongings in the fire.

“Everything is still fresh and the shock is still there. We’re just trying to stick together so we can get through this one day at a time,” Chrystal says. “They’re devastated, but they’re hanging in there.”

This is the second time the Seymour family has experienced a house fire in the last year – in April Chrystal’s other sister Leanne Woods’ house caught fire in Gitaus and most of their family’s belongings were damaged by smoke. The house had to be renovated before the family could move back in.

READ MORE: Family of five safe after early morning house fire in Gitaus

“This is twice now this year in my family. It’s very hard. It’s devastating right now,” she says.

Apart from dad Frank Hogue, who was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, the rest of the family escaped without injury.

Thornhill Fire Department deputy fire chief Christopher England said the fire department responded to a call from the family at 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15. Three fire engines, including a ladder and duty vehicle, were sent to fight the blaze.

He said when the crews arrived they could see the windows in one of the three daughter’s bedrooms were blackened with smoke, with more smoke billowing out the top of the building.

READ MORE: Two people safe following house fire in Upper Thornhill

“The family is alright. At least one of the family members was treated for smoke inhalation and two pets didn’t make it. The dogs made it, but the cat and the hamster were unfortunate victims,” England says.

While it took crews less than 15 minutes to extinguish the fire, the firemen remained at the scene for nearly two hours checking for any potential flare-ups.

“The mattress was still smouldering – those keep a lot of heat for a long time so we kept an eye on it,” says England.

He praised the family for their efforts to contain the fire, which prevented it from spreading through the rest of their home.

“The homeowner did a lot of good work before they called 911, using a fire extinguisher to dampen the fire down. They got everybody out and closed the door to the fire, which definitely helps stop the spread. If they hadn’t done that, the house would probably have been gone,” he says.

“The fire damage was contained to the fire room, but the whole upstairs definitely has a lot of smoke damage. The main floor is in good shape, but the smoke damage in the second-storey is extensive.”

England says the family is receiving assistance from Emergency Support Services, but it’s not known when they will be able to move back in.

He said while firefighters were able to save some Christmas gifts from being destroyed, their belongings were destroyed in the fire.

READ MORE: Family of five safe after early morning house fire in Gitaus

Community fundraiser organized

To help the family, Chrystal organized a spot draw with 100 participants raising $1,000 for the family. She said any further donations would be greatly appreciated.

E-transfers can made to tsimshian_20@hotmail.com or anyone who wants to help can also contact Lynn Parker at lynn.wright@telus.net.

“We’re just going to keep trying to fundraise, fundraise, fundraise to make sure the family is good and they can live in a little bit of peace at least through the holidays,” Chrystal says.


 


brittany@terracestandard.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Here’s a view of the Alouette River looking east, taken by Barbara McConville. (Special to The News)
SHARE

Send us your photo showing how you view Maple Ridge or Pitt Meadows, and it could be featured soon.

Gloria Hamilton stands in front of a home in Maple Ridge’s Academy Park subdivision, which recently sold for well over the asking price. (Ronan O’Doherty/ The News)
Bidding wars driving up real estate in Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows

Price of houses up some 20 per cent over last year

The Maple Ridge Branch of the SPCA received a donation of more than $4,500 from B&F Automotive after their NYA fundraiser. (Special to The News)
Maple Ridge auto shop organizes virtual bingo to raise funds for SPCA

B&F Automotive’s New Year’s Eve fundraiser amassed more than $4,500 for the animal welfare charity

Elvira D’Angelo, 92, waits to receive her COVID-19 vaccination shot at a clinic in Montreal, Sunday, March 7, 2021, as the COVID-19 pandemic continues in Canada and around the world. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
‘It’s been a good week’: Tam hopeful on vaccines as pandemic anniversary nears

Tam says the addition of two new vaccines will help Canadians get immunized faster

Const. Allan Young. Photo: Abbotsford Police Department
Manslaughter charge laid in Nelson death of Abbotsford police officer

Allan Young died after an incident in downtown Nelson last summer

The Kimber family of Boston Bar lost their home in a fire. Blaine Kimber’s daughter created a fundraiser to help rebuild the home with the goal of $100,000. (Screenshot/GoFundMe)
Fundraiser created for Boston Bar family that lost everything in weekend fire

Witnesses say the Kimber family escaped the fire without injury, but their home is a total loss

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

(The Canadian Press)
‘Worse than Sept. 11, SARS and financial crisis combined’: Tourism industry in crisis

Travel services saw the biggest drop in active businesses with 31 per cent fewer firms operating

Pictures and notes in from friends and classmates make up a memorial in support and memory of Aubrey Berry, 4, and her sister Chloe, 6, during a vigil held at Willows Beach in Oak Bay, B.C., on December 30, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Mother of slain daughters supports recent changes to Canada’s Divorce Act

Sarah Cotton-Elliott said she believed her children took a back seat to arranging equal parenting

Victoria man Brett Andersen is asking for people’s help to secure him one of eight free tickets to the moon. (Screenshot/@brettandersen Instagram)
Victoria man wants your help securing a free ticket to the moon

Japanese billionaire offering eight people a trip to the moon

The Conservation Officers Service is warning aquarium users after invasive and potentially destructive mussels were found in moss balls from a pet store. (BC Conservation Officers Service/Facebook)
Aquarium users in B.C. warned after invasive mussels found at pet store

Conservation officers were told the mussels were found in a moss ball from a Terrace pet store.

Most Read