Possible school closures in Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows due to snowfall

TransLink also issues weather warning.

  • Dec. 2, 2016 10:00 a.m.

The Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows school district is warning that there may be snow early next week, and parents should watch for notices of school closures.

Environment Canada is forecasting a 30 per cent chance of snow flurries on Monday and a 70 per cent chance of snow for Wednesday and Thursday.

The Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows school district has an inclement weather policy, closing schools when extreme weather conditions endanger the health or safety of students and staff.

School closures due to inclement weather are the discretion of the superintendent and senior staff. Decisions are made by 6 a.m. for each day.

Details will be posted on the school district website (sd42.ca) and shared with all media in the Lower Mainland.

TransLink is also monitoring the weather and prepared, under our snow and adverse weather plans, for possible freezing temperatures and snow forecast over the weekend.

Steps operations will take to keep customers and public transit moving in snowy and icy conditions:

· If a street is not plowed, operators may refrain from pulling into bus stops to avoid getting stuck and instead stop in an area that is safe and accessible for riders;

· If needed, articulated buses will be replaced by traditional buses as they’re more agile and better equipped to handle hills or streets that have poor conditions;

· trolley de-icer trucks will spray the entire trolley overhead system if there is a forecast or risk of frost or ice;

· SkyTrain power rail and collector shoes on trains will be de-iced, as well de-icing stations will be set up in covered areas and tunnels;

· measures are also taken to make sure switches are protected from freezing;

· during times of overnight snow, SkyTrain will run throughout the night to keep tracks clear.

If there is snow or ice, customers should remember to dress for the elements, wear proper footwear and expect occasional service disruptions throughout the day.

“We encourage our customers to plan ahead and to make sure to allow extra commuting time,” said TransLink.

.Customers can check with Trip Planner or m.translink.ca mobile device, or sign up for transit alerts so they’ll be the first to know if there are changes in the transit schedule.

• Follow customer information on Twitter (@translink), Facebook (TransLink) and save the number (604-953-3333) on mobile devices.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

LETTER: Verbal attack on foreign workers disturbing

Racist and derogatory comments on social media disheartening and disappointing to Maple Ridge native

LETTER: How about a fashion contest for COVID face gear

Not trying to make light of the pandemic, but how about a community competition, no age limit

ON THE PAGE: FVRL Express launches Monday

It’s as easy as click, pick, and go at Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows libraries starting next week

LETTER: Doctor calls foul on plea for hazard pay

Dr. Walton doesn’t believe he deserve any thing more for working during COVID

Virtual gala brings dinner to the door and money to locals in need

Maple Ridge Community Foundation is holding a ‘Night In Gala’ fundraiser on June 13

11 new COVID-19 cases in B.C. as top doc urges caution amid ‘encouraging’ low rates

Dr. Bonnie Henry also announced that two care home outbreaks would be declared over

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

Thanks for helping The News to continue its mission to provide trusted local news

Surrey mayor’s party under fire for ‘sickening’ tweet accusing northern B.C. RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Senior man in hospital after unprovoked wolf attack near Prince Rupert

Conservation officers are on site looking for the wolf

VIDEO: NASA astronauts blast off into space on SpaceX rocket

Marks NASA’s first human spaceflight launched from U.S. soil in nearly a decade

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

B.C.’s police watchdog probing death of Richmond man in alleged shoplifting incident

Independent Investigations Office of B.C. is asking any witnesses to come forward

Most Read