It’s back to school again on Tuesday, and local students will find new principals and vice-principals at several schools.
Astrid Kirves, who was principal of Fairview elementary, has retired. She will be replaced by Cathie Watkins, who was previously in a vice-principal role at Maple Ridge secondary.
There are no other principal moves at the elementary level, but the district does has several vice-principal changes:
• Lisa Kania, who had been a teacher, is stepping into the role of acting vp at Albion;
• Jen Beveridge, formerly in an acting vp role at Albion, is moving to a vp role at Golden Ears;
• Lee Magis will be the acting vp at Hammond;
• Jennifer Fuhrman (formerly in a vp role at Pitt Meadows secondary) will be the new vp at Kanaka Creek elementary;
• Laureen Hickey (formerly an acting vp at Kanaka Creek) is joining Yennadon as the new vp, replacing the retired Leslie Ramsay.
At the secondary level, Steve Wiebe is replacing Alan Millar as principal of alternate education, but will maintain his trades and partnerships responsibilities. So the position is now principal, alternate education and trades and partnerships.
Millar is joining the vp team at Maple Ridge secondary, and Cheryl Schwarz is stepping into an acting vp role at Pitt Meadows secondary.
Wes Reamsbottom (Pitt Meadows elementary) and Jeff Curwen (Thomas Haney secondary) will no longer be in acting vp roles at these schools – they will assume the full vp roles.