Smoke alarm saves family, but not home

The blaze started around 7:30 p.m. in an upstairs bedroom of the Birchmores’ house, located in Richmond Court, 21555 Dewdney Trunk Road.

A working smoke alarm is being credited for saving the lives of a Maple Ridge family whose townhouse was damaged by fire Tuesday.

The blaze started around 7:30 p.m. in an upstairs bedroom of the Birchmores’ house, located in Richmond Court, 21555 Dewdney Trunk Road.

The fire triggered the alarm, which alerted the mother, who ran upstairs to find her son, who has cerebral palsy, in his bedroom, which was engulfed in smoke.

Assistant fire chief Mark Smitton said that wouldn’t have happened if the smoke alarm has been disconnected or had no batteries that didn’t work.

“This saved their lives,” he added.

The mom, her 17-year-old son and three-year-old daughter fled the house to safety.

Firefighters arrived to find flames and smoke billowing out of the home, but were able keep the fire from spreading.

Everything in the boy’s bedroom was destroyed.

“He has an electric guitar that he thrives on and lost his Playstation,” said Smitton.

The fire department has pinpointed the cause of the fire to an electrical problem.

A neighbour has set up a trust account to help get the family.

Smitton said they will need to find another place to stay until their home is repaired.

Canadian statistics show that without a working smoke alarm, chances of not surviving a fire increase by 74 per cent.

Smitton said Tuesday’s fire is a good reminder for people to check their smoke alarms to make sure they are working as well as practice an escape plan.



Donate: You can help the family by making a donation at TD Canada Trust.

Account Name: “Graham Arthur Laverty and Michael J. Bygrove in Trust for Loreen M. Birchmore.”

Transit : 91030.

Institution No: 004.

Account: 91036355183.


Just Posted

Senior men’s exhibition baseball in Maple Ridge

Elite Burnaby Bulldogs take on Royals Saturday

From the desk: Sexual assaults tough to talk about

May take a while to report an incident

Pitt Meadows junior golfer wins prestigious tournament

Incredible run in last four holes gives 10-year-old scores of 71

Dump truck flipped in Maple Ridge

Sitting on its roof near Silver Valley residential development

Fashion Fridays: How to dress and feel powerful

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Police identify 45-year-old victim in South Surrey stabbing

Delphin Paul Prestbakmo died at the scene, near 18 Avenue and 152 Street

Kraft Heinz brand baby food recalled in B.C. due to possibility of insects

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says the product should not be consumed

First Nations women finally to be treated equally under Indian Act: Bennett

Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action thanked the feds

Helicopter-riding dog Mr. Bentley now featured on cans of new B.C.-made beer

Partial proceeds from every pack go to Children’s Wish

‘Easy Rider’ star Peter Fonda dies at 79

Actor and writer was nominated for an Oscar for co-writing the 1969 psychedelic road trip movie

Puppy rescued from smoky South Surrey condo

Fire alarms brought firefighters to the Morgan Crossing residences around 7 p.m.

Bob Lenarduzzi out as Vancouver Whitecaps president

MLS team is at the bottom of the Western Conference standings

B.C. daycare operator denies negligence in death of ‘Baby Mac’

Infant died in early 2017 after biting an electrical cord, according to a lawsuit filed by his mom

Most Read