Teen douses kitchen fire in Maple Ridge

  • Jul. 14, 2011 7:00 p.m.
Teen douses kitchen fire in Maple Ridge

A quick thinking teenager saved his home from going up in smoke after a fire started in its kitchen Monday night.

The family was in the basement of the house, in the 12400-block of 231B Street, when someone smelled smoke around 10 p.m.

Cardboard placed on atop a stove that was accidentally turned on, had set alight. The fire was contained to the stove, but burned kitchen cabinets.

While his mom called 911, the 14-year-old ran into the backyard, grabbed a garden hose and put out the flames before the fire department arrived.

Fire chief Dane Spence said he showed great presence of mind.

Three people were taken to hospital after inhaling smoke.