A teenage boy has pleaded guilty to taking photographs and video of an alleged sexual assault at a Pitt Meadows rave last year that went viral online.
The boy, 17, entered the sudden plea on Monday in Port Coquitlam Provincial Court, although he initially intended to fight the allegations at trial.
The trial heard from only one witness Thursday before a decision was reached to proceed with the guilty plea.
The charges against the teen stem from the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl at “Another Night in Bangkok,” a party held on a farm at 12993 Harris Rd. on Sept. 10, 2010.
The teenage boy, who cannot be named under the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was the first of three people to face charges in connection with the incident.
Crown laid one count each of making and distributing child porn against the teen three weeks after the rave.
Crown prosecutor Wendy van Tongeren Harvey told the court the teen is now admitting to making and distributing obscene material.
“There was sexual activity between two individuals and [the teen] is admitting he took photos and video with his Blackberry and sent it to others,” she explained.
The images were eventually posted by others on the social-networking site Facebook and repeatedly shared online.
Investigators believe that as many as 12 people witnessed the sexual assault and “more than one individual” participated in it.
RCMP do not anticipate any more arrests or charges until new information is brought to their attention.
Police said the investigation into the sexual assault and subsequent distribution of graphic images was hindered by a “code of silence” amongst those who attended the party.
The others accused in the rave case go to trial next year.
Colton Ashton McMorris, 19, will be tried on one count of sexual assault, while Dennis John Allen Warrington, 20, faces charges of making child pornography and intending to distribute it.
Van Tongeren Harvey is the Crown prosecutor for both trials and said it was premature to discuss whether McMorris and Warrington would enter guilty pleas.
A pre-sentence report has been ordered for the teenager.
His lawyer, Mark Jette, also requested that a curfew from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. be eliminated from his bail conditions.