Canoe Kayak B.C. honoured the province’s top athletes, coaches and volunteers at its annual awards banquet on Friday in Burnaby, and there were numerous members of the Ridge Canoe and Kayak Club and the Pitt Meadows Paddling Club among the honourees.
More than 85 individuals who achieved paddling excellence this past season received medals, plaques, scholarships and recognition for their hard work.
Maple Ridge’s Laura Said was honoured as Canoe Kayak B.C.’s Volunteer of the Year. Said was cited for her dedication to officiating and mentorship to new officials. Included in her many accomplishments was the respect both athletes and coaches have for her on the water.
Current Team Canada members Brian Malfesi (Ridge) and Matthew Koehler (Ridge) were honoured by national team coach Mark Granger.
The club won performance awards for:
• U15 Female Kayak Athlete of the Year – Sprint: Cassidy MacPherson (Ridge)
• U19 Male Athlete of the Year – Sprint: Matthew Koehler (Ridge)
• Junior Male Athlete of the Year – Sprint: Brian Malfesi (Ridge)
• Master Female Athlete of the Year – Sprint: Verna McNichol (Ridge)
• Para Athlete of the Year – Sprint: Stuart Chase (Pitt Meadows)
Sprint Development Awards:
• U15: Noah Said (Ridge).
• U11: Owen Mitchell (Pitt Meadows).
• Novice: Jia Kim (Ridge).
• U14: Lily Small (Ridge).
• U13: Cassidy MacPherson (Ridge) and Shania Modha (Ridge).
• U15: Alexander Dmitriev (Ridge).
• U12: Bryant Kelleway (Ridge).
• Performance Coach of the Year: Peter Majewski (Ridge).
Hosting recognition went to the Ridge club, for putting on the B.C. championships and Pacific Cup.
Canoe Kayak B.C. members include competitive and developing athletes, enthusiasts, coaches, officials, administrators and supporters of paddling sports. See www.canoekayakbc.ca.