The Maple Ridge Ramblers finished third in the senior girls’ division at the B.C. high school track and field championships in Nanaimo on the weekend.
The ‘Lady Rams’ collected 38 points, two behind New Westminster secondary and three behind the winner, Earl Marriott.
The Ramblers also placed second overall in the combined junior division with 61.5 points, five behind the winner, Oak Bay.
The Maple Ridge junior girls came third in their category with 38 points, behind Oak Bay and the winner, Walnut Grove.
More than 2,500 athletes participated in the B.C. championships.
Abisayo Ajibike, Jamie Hennessey, Mikayla Tinkham, Aaryanna Kurucz won gold in the senior girls’ 4×400-metre relay (4:05.97).
Other senior results:
• Tinkham, fourth in 1,500m, fifth in 800m;
• Hennessey, fifth in 1,500m and 3,000m;
• Ajibike, fifth in 100m and 200m, 11th in long jump;
• Emily Morrison, sixth in javelin;
• Elise Carelse, 11th in triple jump;
• Daniel Jo, ninth in discus, 12th in hammer;
• Ryan Ibbitt, 24th in 400m;
• Aimee Milliard, 19th in long jump.
In the junior division, Mateya Haintz won gold in girls’ hammer with a throw of 47.92m, and placed third in discus (32.33m), while Jorrin Lenton won gold in boys’ 300m hurdles (40.86 seconds), and came fourth in 400m. He also earned silver in pentathlon.
Cole Deakin, Nick Kerschbaum, Marshall Shupe and Lenton earned silver in junior boys’ 4x400m relay (3:33.36).
Kurucz earned bronze in both the junior 200m and 400m events.
Emily Morley took silver in the junior girls’ 300m hurdles, as well as bronze in pentathlon.
Bronte Elphick-Miner, Brooke Parry, Blythe Parry and Morley placed seventh in the 4x400m relay.
Other junior results:
• Matt Liosis, eighth in pole vault;
• Ilse Rafter, 14th in 800m, 16th in 1,500m;
• Elphick-Miner, 17th in 80m hurdles;
• Brooke Parry, 12th in 300m hurdles, 17th in 800m;
• Shupe, 11th in 800m;
• Kate Meredith, 11th in shot put.
Liam Selle, Sam Pourdana, Hudson Coumont, Nico Aron set a new B.C. record in winning the Grade 8 boys’ 4x400m relay in a time of 3:54.35.
Aron also won gold in the 400m (53.13) and 800m (2:15.27) events;
Also in Grade 8:
• Spencer Morrison, bronze in javelin;
• Selle, sixth 800m;
• Alina Olson, fourth in shot put, 10th in 100m;
• Elliot Payne, fourth in javelin;
• Marquesis Haintz, eighth in 3,000m;
• Hudson Coumont, 14th in javelin.