The Maple Ridge Ramblers are becoming a big player in track and field, as the team had 44 athletes qualify for the Fraser Valley championships this year.
That Upper Valley finals were held May 11-14 in Abbotsford, and there were numerous local athletes from School District 42 who medalled.
The local highlights from the first two days of the Valley meet:
• Mikayla Tinkham of Maple Ridge secondary placing second in both the senior women’s 1,500m and the 3,000m races. Crosstown rival Christina Johnston of Thomas Haney was right behind Tinkham in third place in both events. They ran the 1,500 in 4:50.19 and 4:50.56, respectively.
• The Ramblers relays had a lot of success, as MRSS won the senior and junior women’s 4x400m relays, the men’s 4x400m junior relay ran second, and took third in the Grade 8 girls 4x400m,
• Jordan Ellingson of MRSS took second in the senior boys javelin.
Other Rambler performances included:
• Jamie Hennessey third in junior women’s 1,500m and 3,000m.
• Kate Meredith won the junior women’s shot put.
• Claire Liversidge, second in the senior women’s 100m hurdles.
• Marshall Shupe, second in the Grade 8 boys 3,000m.
• Ilse Rafter, in third place in the grade 8 girls 300m.
• Reid Muller of Pitt Meadows was second in the men’s 1,500m run in a time of 3:56.62
• Pitt’s 4x400m senior boys relay team also ran second.
• Sierrah Burrows of Pitt won the Grade 8 girls 80m hurdles.
• Eden Waring-Jones, also of Pitt, won the Grade 8 girls long jump.
• Thomas Haney’s Erick Villanueva took the junior men’s long jump with a leap of 6.06 metres.
• Madelyn Huston of Haney finished third in junior women’s 400m .
• Jamall Mensah of Meadowridge was third in the Grade 8 boys 100m.
There will be more results to come after competition Thursday.