Members of The Rock Wall Climbing Team were pumped up for the past weekend’s climbing competition, in which 85 of B.C.’s top climbers descended on the Maple Ridge gym.
Many of the competitors were also some of Canada’s best climbers, and have competed world-wide for Team Canada, including Maple Ridge natives Christy Spurrell and Jaylene Pratt.
Spurrell was competing in only her second competition this year after being off since nationals last year with a hand injury.
Spurrell placed an impressive second in a deep open field, and second in speed, which was enough to take the overall open women’s title.
Spurrell is also head coach of the team and was challenged with a large team to coach and still get herself ready for climbing.
Jakob Plamondon and Teyha Rogers both had impressive climbs over the weekend, with Plamondon dominating both speed and difficulty, placing first in both disciplines and taking the overall title in youth B boys.
Rogers crushed her first qualifier and had to battle hard on a powerful finals route to take second place in difficulty. She placed first in speed, which won her the overall title in youth B girls.
Kari Jurick made finals for the first time in difficulty, and with her second place finish in speed placed second behind Rogers in overall title in youth B girls.
Lauren Larbalestier and Meghan White were first and second respectively in speed, but White turned it up in difficulty to take first place and give her the overall title.
The Rock Wall Team heads to the Richmond Oval on April 4 for the next competition in difficulty and hope to have another impressive day.
Rock Wall competition final results:
Youth D girls
(11 and under):
• Meghan White – first difficulty, second speed, first overall;
• Paige Lofthaug – fifth difficulty, fifth speed, fourth overall;
• Lauren Larbalestier – sixth difficulty, first speed, third overall.
Youth C girls
• Sydney Hennessey – fourth difficulty;
• Anya Soon-Kozak – eighth difficulty.
Youth C boys
• Will Antle – fifth difficulty, second speed, second overall.
Youth B girls
• Teyha Rogers – fourth difficulty, first speed, first overall;
• Kari Jurick – fifth difficulty, second speed, second overall.
Youth B Boys
• Jakob Plamondon – first difficulty, first speed, first overall;
• Greg Brown – seventh difficulty.
Youth A Boys
• Jack Chisholm – seventh difficulty, third speed, third overall
• Greg Brown – seventh difficulty
• Taylor Forsyth – second difficulty, first speed, first overall.
• Jake Forsyth – second difficulty, second speed, second overall.
• Christy Spurrell – second difficulty, second speed, first overall;
• Jaylene Pratt – seventh difficulty;
• Laura Siemens – 11th difficulty, seventh speed.