Downtown Maple Ridge is about to look a lot more festive, with Illuminate Maple Ridge kicking off on Dec. 2 just in time for the start of the holiday season.
Formerly known as Glow Maple Ridge, this downtown program will provide plenty of family-friendly entertainment throughout the month of December.
A new element of Illuminate Maple Ridge will be the Candy Cane Tour, which is a self-guided journey to more than 20 Maple Ridge businesses which have each received a $1,000 grant from the city to create impressive holiday light displays in their storefront windows.
“The Illuminate Maple Ridge grant program is an opportunity for our community to come together, create a magical holiday season and support our local businesses,” said Tyler Westover, director of economic development for the city.
A brand new light display will also take over the six-storey city hall building as part of Illuminate Maple Ridge, with the display including string lights, floodlights, and plenty of vibrant colours.
Another element of this holiday program will be a photo contest where people will have the chance to win a prize just by posting a selfie.
The contest runs from Dec. 2 to Jan. 5 and requires that the person take a photo at one of the businesses participating in the Candy Cane Tour, making sure the decorations are included in the photo, and then publish it to social media in a post that includes #illuminatemapleridge, @yourmapleridge, and tag the business.
The same person can enter the contest more than once by making separate posts for each business they visit and get a photo at. The winners will be announced on Jan. 19.
The following Maple Ridge businesses will be involved in the Candy Cane Tour and photo contest:
• Bean Around Books and Tea (22626 Lougheed Hwy.)
• Capri Italian Bakery and Bistro (22266 Dewdney Trunk Rd.)
• Gina’s Sandwich and Coffee (22470 Dewdney Trunk Rd.)
• Haney Builders Supplies (22740 Dewdney Trunk Rd.)
• Hansel and Gretal Bakery (22777 Dewdney Trunk Rd.)
• Harris and Leib Insurance (22303 Lougheed Hwy.)
• Humble Roots (13179 224 St.)
• Kingfishers Waterfront Bar and Grill (23840 River Rd.)
• Lotus and Lemongrass (11952 224 St.)
• Maple Ridge Florist (22530 Dewdney Trunk Rd.)
• Monkey Business Kid’s Boutique (11947 224 St.)
• Once Upon a Tea Leaf (11970 224 St.)
• Paddle Gear (22362 Dewdney Trunk Rd.)
• The Nut Coffee Shop (22638 119 Ave.)
• Skin District Inc. (22346 Selkirk Ave.)
• The Therapeutic Collective (11979 224 St.)
• Town and Country Vintage Home (11940 228 St.)
• 7 True Coffee (22362 Lougheed Hwy.)
• Vanilla Bean Bake Shop (11900 Haney Pl.)
• Waypoint Insurance (11939 240 St.)
• The Well Public House (22710 Lougheed Hwy.)