Albion family burned out of their home

A Maple Ridge family was burned out of their Albion-area home on Sunday night.

  • Nov. 3, 2014 3:00 p.m.

A Maple Ridge family was burned out of their Albion-area home on Sunday night.

A mother and her children got out of the house in the 10,300 block of 240th Street when their fire alarms went off at approximately 7 p.m.  Flames were visible out the front gable and in the upper part of the house, as a fire in the attic spread quickly.

Firefighters on scene said it appeared that the blaze started due to a problem with the chimney from a wood-burning stove.

The main floor was saved as firefighters fought a defensive battle to limit the damage, but the damage was extensive, and the family has been displaced.

During the annual “fall back” from daylight savings time to standard time, families are reminded to check their fire alarms, to ensure the batteries have life and the alarms are working.