Dutch man charged in Amanda Todd case

35-year-old accused of sexually exploiting and extorting the teen online, Police say he may have other victims in Canada

Carol and Norman Todd attend a press conference in Surrey about the arrest of a Dutch man in the case of their daughter

A Dutch man is accused of sexually exploiting and blackmailing Amanda Todd, a Port Coquitlam teen who killed herself in 2012 following years of torment online.

The 35-year-old man is facing five charges in Canada, including extortion, Internet luring, criminal harassment, as well as possession and distribution of child pornography.

“This is truly a day we’ve been waiting for,” Todd’s mother Carol said as she fought back tears at a press conference Thursday. “I always knew deep in my heart that what my daughter told me was the truth. Now our RCMP have helped and supported us in finding an answer.”

The man was arrested by Dutch police in January on different allegations involving victims in the Netherlands.

His name is not being released to protect the integrity of the Dutch investigation.

This marks a major milestone in our investigation, said Coquitlam RCMP Insp. Paulette Freill, adding that 30 officers were involved.

Coquitlam RCMP began investigating the Todd case in December 2010, when sexually explicit images of the teen, just 13 at the time, began circulating online.

In September 2012, a month before she took her own life, Amanda Todd posted a heart-breaking video to YouTube detailing years of  years of torment she endured as the target of bullies online and at school.

In hand-written notes, the teen described being asked to flash her breasts online and how that one indiscretion spiraled out of control.

Todd – who lived in Port Coquitlam at the time of her death, but previously attended schools in Maple Ridge, where some bullying occurred – wrote that her blackmailer sent the screen shot to her classmates and continued to extort her even when she switched schools.

Her account is strikingly similar to allegations levelled against the Dutch man, who is accused of approaching underage girls via the internet and seducing them into performing sexual acts in front of a webcam.

He would save images and use them to blackmail the girls, targeting dozens of them in several countries, including the Netherlands, the U.K, and the U.S. The man is also accused of extorting men in a similar way for money.

Insp. Bob Resch, with the National Child Exploitation Centre, said there are other victims in Canada, although he wouldn’t say how many or where they were located.

“These crimes have no boundaries,” said Resch.

B.C. Crown Counsel confirmed it will be seeking to extradite the man.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Famous skateboard residence goes up for sale in Maple Ridge

Kyle Dion’s house on Stoney Avenue has a backyard feature few others can boast

Maple Ridge sprinter earns track scholarship to TWU

Alina Olson broke the MRSS record in the 100 m dash last season

Being Young: A strange little concept called hope

One generation consistently cries out to the others, ‘you have it easier than me.’

MRSS cheer team to compete against world’s best

The squad will represent Canada at the 2020 World School Cheerleading Championships in Orlando

Going Green: House, I’m looking at you

‘Change the place you live by changing how you get around.’

‘Presumptive case’ of coronavirus in Canada confirmed by Ontario doctors

Man in his 50s felt ill on his return to Canada from Wuhan, China

People knowingly take fentanyl so make policy changes to reduce harm: B.C. study

Dr. Jane Buxton, an epidemiologist at the centre, says drug users need more resources,

‘My heart is going to bleed’: Bodies brought back to Canada following Iran plane crash

Remains of Sahar Haghjoo, 37, and her eight-year-old daughter, Elsa Jadidi, were identified last weekend

Surrey tells Uber to cease operations in city, but company ‘respectfully’ declines

Ridesharing company told to stop operating within the city by 9 p.m. Jan. 24

Coronavirus concerns cause cancellation of Langley Lunar New Year celebration

Close to 1,000 were expected to attend the annual Live In Langley event on Saturday

Second earthquake in two days strikes near Agassiz

A 2.6-magnitude recorded Saturday morning

BCLC opens novelty bet on Harry and Meghan moving to the west coast

Meanwhile, real estate agency points to four possible homes for the family

Canada slips in global corruption ranking in aftermath of SNC-Lavalin scandal

The country obtained a score of 77, which places it at the top in the Americas

Most Read