Fire destroyed five units at the Harris Road housing co-op in Pitt Meadows on Sunday.
Firefighters were called to the Harris Road housing complex on 119th Avenue around 7:15 p.m.
Four units and vehicles were on fire at the time, said Pitt Meadows fire chief Don Jolley.
Members were able to salvage three of the eight units in the block where the fire occurred, he added.
In total, 17 people were displaced.
One person was taken to hospital with minor injuries, according to reports.
A pet cat died in the fire and other animals are missing, Jolley said.
Twenty members of the Pitt Meadows department were aided by firefighters from Maple Ridge.
The co-operative effort was instrumental in saving several units, Jolley said, as well as personal items.
Firefighters remained on site all night, putting out hot spots.
No cause has been identified and the investigation is in its early stages.
Emergency social services set up a reception centre at the co-op amenity building for displaced residents.
A Facebook page has started to collect donations for those affected by the fire.
Furniture, clothing and household items, such as towels, blankets and dishes are being sought, according to the site, and possibly pet supplies.
No drop-off location has been identified.