Maple Ridge building damaged by fire

  • Jul. 12, 2011 10:00 a.m.
Firefighters enter a boarded up building at the corner of North Avenue and Fraser Street in Maple Ridge to put out a fire on Friday.

Firefighters enter a boarded up building at the corner of North Avenue and Fraser Street in Maple Ridge to put out a fire on Friday.

Fire and smoke badly damaged a vacant building in downtown Maple Ridge on Friday.

No one was injured in the fire, which started around 4 p.m. on Fraser Street near North Avenue.

There was no electricity or gas connected to the building as it hasn’t been occupied since 2005.

It housed a hair dressing school and rental apartment suites in the past.

The Maple Ridge Fire Department believe the fire was started by a person.

“At this point, we don’t know if it’s accidental or designed,” said fire chief Dane Spence.

Police are investigating the fire.

 

Man electrocuted

A man was electrocuted while working in east Maple Ridge on Saturday morning.

A concrete truck with its boom in the air either came in contact or in close proximity to a high voltage line, sending an electrical charge surging through the ground in 12700-block of 256th Street around 9 a.m.

A worker standing nearby received a shock.

“It is extremely fortunate the man was not killed,” said fire chief Dance Spence.

The concrete mixer was filling a pump truck. Both were damaged by the surge.

The man was taken to hospital by paramedics.

Work Safe B.C. is investigating.