The 10th anniversary of B.C.’s bait car program was celebrated this week with the launch of a new commercial bait car program and the unveiling of the latest list of Top 10 Most Wanted car thieves.
B.C. Minister of Justice and Attorney General Shirley Bond was in Surrey Thursday to outline the successes of the anti-theft program so far, and launch the new commercial bait vehicle initiative.
She said the bait car program has “played an unbelievable role in dramatically decreasing auto crime.”
In 2011, auto theft declined provincewide by 20 per cent, building on a 22-per-cent drop in 2010, Bond said, adding thefts from vehicles has also decreased by 13 per cent.
In hopes of adding to that success, the Integrated Municipal Provincial Auto Crime Team (IMPACT) announced the creation of a commercial bait vehicle program, targeting people who would take large trucks, vans and other commercial vehicles.
In addition, IMPACT unveiled its new Top 10 Most Wanted list.
Bond noted that in the past, 77 of the 80 suspected car thieves that topped the annual list have been apprehended.
This year’s list includes the following people, each of whom has a history of suspected auto theft:
1. Mark Winston Berry, a 43-year-old wanted by Surrey RCMP for two counts of possession of stolen property. He’s had 25 Criminal Code convictions since 1988. He is considered extremely dangerous.
2. Lawrence Jordan Brown, 21, wanted by the Penticton RCMP for a breach of undertaking and breach of probation. He is considered violent, armed and dangerous.
3. Christopher John Bursey, 22, wanted by Abbotsford police for possession of stolen property, theft, possession of break-in instruments and unlawful use of ID.
4. Lawrence Peter Myers, 36, wanted by the Ridge Meadows RCMP for breach of probation.
5. Kevin Michael Beech, 34, wanted by the Richmond and Langley RCMP for possession of stolen property, break and enter, driving while prohibited and possession of a controlled substance.
6. Michael Allan Deyoung, 25, wanted by the New Westminster police for theft, possession of stolen property and breach of undertaking. It’s his second consecutive year on the Top 10 Most Wanted list. He should be considered violent.
7. Million Gerbe Radia, 32, is wanted by Abbotsford police for possession of stolen property and breach of probation. He is prohibited from driving and should be considered violent.
8. Todd Joseph Savoie, 42, wanted by Surrey RCMP for possession of stolen property, possession of break-in tools and possession of a dangerous weapon.
9. Clint Warren Rose, 35, wanted by Abbotsford police for breach of recognizance and driving while prohibited.
10. Joshua Trevis Bird, 32, wanted by Surrey RCMP for possession of stolen property, driving while suspended, and failure to appear.
The above warrants, except for the breaches, have not been proven in court.