Firefighters are hosed down after a fire at a house being renovated on 240th Street in Maple Ridge on Thursday.

Firefighters are hosed down after a fire at a house being renovated on 240th Street in Maple Ridge on Thursday.

Old home damaged in fire

House under renovation on 240th Street in Maple Ridge

A home under renovation was damaged in fire Thursday afternoon in Maple Ridge.

The fire started just after noon on a five acre property on 240th Street near 114A Avenue.

Fire chief Dane Spence said the fire began in the wood fireplace which was being used by people inside the home.

The fire quickly spread into the walls around the chimney and the attic of the house, estimated to be 60 or 70 years old.

The nature of the construction made it very difficult to access the walls, added Spence.

Firefighters had to tear apart walls to douse flames and closed the street while crews from two halls fought the fire for almost four hours.

Fire damage was limited to an area around the fireplace.

The Pitt Meadows Fire Department was put on standby as the fire drew most of Maple Ridge’s resources.