One person was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation after a minor fire on Sunday at the Villa Torni Apartments downtown Maple Ridge.
The fire started after the occupant of a unit fell asleep while smoking on the couch.
“We retrieved the victim and had him treated by ambulance. We basically put in fans to eject the smoke from the building and then allowed people back in,” said assistant fire chief Mark Smitton.
There was little damage to the unit.
“A blanket and the wooden floor had a burn pattern on it,” Smitton said.