Woman burned in kitchen fire

Never put water on to burning oil, says fire chief

  • Jan. 12, 2016 1:00 p.m.

A Pitt Meadows woman suffered burns and her kitchen caught fire in a cooking accident on Saturday night.

Fire Chief Don Jolley said the cook was not aware of a simple fire safety rule – never throw water on burning oil.

The woman was cooking with oil when it caught fire.

She put the pot in the sink, and turned on the water.

“The oil exploded all over the room,” said Jolley. “Never, never put water in boiling oil. It is extremely dangerous.”

The flaming oil spattered the woman, causing minor burns, and ignited her kitchen.

Jolley said firefighters were called at about 8 p.m., and were able to quickly extinguish the fire, but there was damage to kitchen cabinets.

Jolley advised that when oil catches fire, it should be smothered by either placing the lid or a baking sheet on the pot, or by using baking soda, and turning off the heat.

 

Train engine flames

Following that call, at about 8:30 p.m. on Saturday firefighters were dispatched  to multiple reports of a CP Railway train engine that appeared to be on fire.

The train stopped at the Harris Road crossing. Firefighters asked CP to shut down the line while they investigated, but the train started and continued on its way.

Flames on a train engine are “fairly normal according to CP,” said Jolley.

However, he said it is concerning that the company did not consult with firefighters before continuing, and he will be communicating with the railway company.