Woman burned in Maple Ridge fire

  • May. 19, 2011 5:00 a.m.
Woman burned in Maple Ridge fire

A woman was taken to hospital early Wednesday following a small fire at a house in Maple Ridge.

The fire near 210th Street and Dewdney Trunk Road was caused by an electric space heater placed too close to a bed.

Fire chief Peter Grootensdorst said the heater ignited sheets while the woman was asleep around 4 a.m.

A smoke alarm woke up two other residents of the house, as well as a child, who rushed in to rescue the sleeping woman.

A neighbour dragged the burning mattress into the backyard and put the flames out with water.

“By the time crews got there, the fire was out,” said Grootendorst.

The 26-year-old woman is still being treated for severe burns.

Damage from the fire was confined to the bed and some parts of the floor.

Grootendorst reminds resident to be careful when using space heaters and added this fire demonstrates the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

“The smoke alarm alerted them to the fire and allowed them to get out,” he said.

 

Smoke alarm saves another life

The Maple Ridge Fire Department credits a smoke alarm for saving the life of a woman who fell asleep while cooking Wednesday evening in Maple Ridge.

The fire started around 5:30 p.m. at a house in the 20400-block of 122nd Avenue after oil placed on a stove ignited and flared up to engulf kitchen cabinets.

Fire chief Peter Grootendorst said a smoke alarm woke up the woman, who used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.