Editor, The News:
I, for one, am very glad to see our new mayor not eager to give away my money to TransLink. It gets way too much, as it is:
• 21 per cent of property taxes;
• 24 per cent of fuel taxes;
• four per cent of parking tax;
• a power levy of .0642 cents per day on my Hydro bill, weather I use Hydro or not;
• plus transit fares, which, from which I understand, are not collected completely;
• plus bridge tolls.
Enough already. Where does all this money go and why should I keep being taxed to death just because?
I don’t use public transportation. I drive a car because transit does not go every where, and I don’t mind paying a toll to cross the bridge, because I use that.
I also understand that TransLink is not accountable to anyone and the public has no idea how much money is being spent on what. It is my opinion that this amounts to extortion.
If TransLink needs more money for transit, raise the fares and collect them it should be a user pay system.