Black Belt World Maple Ridge recently had athletes enjoy success at the Canada Open Taekwondo Championships in Montreal.
The club, formerly known as Taeguek Taekwondo, has a high performance team, run by two-time Olympic coach and current National head coach Master Shin Lim, and their coach Master Michell Ge.
The Canada Open is a top-level event with some of the highest ranking athletes in the world, including Olympians and World Champions.
- Ashlyn Arnold, junior female 63kg gold and senior female 62kg fifth;
- Rodrigo Herrera, cadet male 49kg gold;
- Kyler Arnold, cadet male 49kg silver;
- Matteo Caredda, cadet male 33kg bronze;
- Arianna Caredda, cadet female 29 kg bronze;
- Santiago Herrera, junior male 59 kg top 16;
- Jacob Badalucco, cadet male 33kg top 16.
The team members are working towards the nationals in May in Calgary, with their sights set on making the national team. The Juniors who qualify will get to represent Canada on home soil at the 2016 Junior world championships, taking place in Burnaby in November.