A couple suffered burns to their hands and face while attempting to battle a blaze consuming their north Pitt Meadows home late Sunday morning.
The residents, a man and woman believed to be husband and wife, were treated on scene and then transported to hospital with what witnesses described as non-life-threatening injuries caused by a fire in the 14300-block of Harris Road.
The pair attempted to battle the blaze that originated in a bedroom on the second floor before evacuating, said Brad Perrie, deputy fire chief with Pitt Meadows fire.
The call came in to Pitt Meadows firefighters at about 11:45 a.m. reporting alarms ringing in the home.
En route, Scan BC reported there was actually a fire discovered in the house and fire crews arrived to find heavy fire venting from the second floor of the residence.
“When we arrived the second floor was well involved,” Perrie described.
The team of more than 20 firefighters were able to initiate what was described as an aggressive fire attack and knock the blaze down.
Witnesses report the residents were suggesting the fire, which appears to have gutted the second floor, might have been started by a candle.
• If there is more to this issue, please let us know about it. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you. In the meantime, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.