One firefighter was injured while battling a Maple Ridge house fire on Sunday where a dog was saved.
Fire chief Howard Exner said the firefighter injured his back while on scene at the fire in the 12400-block of 204 St, and, although he could not say how he injured it, he did know that the firefighter is currently seeking medical aid for his injury and has not since returned to work.
Firefighters rushed to the scene at 4:34 p.m. after flames were reported in the living room of the house.
Upon arrival, Exner said, they reported that the house was fully-charged with smoke.
There were 41 firefighters at the scene and the fire was contained to the upstairs portion of the house.
Exner said there was only one person at home at the time of the fire, a basement tenant. The owners, who live upstairs, were not at home at the time.
One witness, who lives across the street, said he saw one woman repeatedly running from the front to the back of the house.
The dog was rescued by firefighters from the basement and was walking and wagging its tail as it was reunited with its owners.
“The fire is still under investigation,” said Exner.
“The physical investigation of the fire is complete now but there is still some other portions that are being taken care of,” he said.
Exner added that the house is not livable right now and that a considerable amount of work will have to be done to it before its occupants can return.
He also noted that smoke alarms were installed in the house and were instrumental in alerting the downstairs tenant to the possibility of a fire upstairs.
“The fact that the smoke alarms here made a difference in the outcome. It’s a good reminder for everybody to make sure that their smoke alarms are within date and they’ve got fresh batteries in them.”